Security, antivirus, malware, etc., what do I really need?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternGuy

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I have Norton/Symantec and have had it for years and have had no problems. I had a small problem and took it to my local "fix-it" shop and they said there was a "virus" and they were running Malwarebytes on my desk top. They suggested I install it and use from now on. My question is - what do I really need as Norton claims to detect malware as well as viruses? For those of us who are not really that technically literate, this presents a problem as to exactly what we do need. Any insight that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WesternGuy

Solution
Antivirus programs are efficient when it comes to classic online threats such as trojans, keyloggers, worms, and viruses while antimalware can detect sophisticated and newer strains of malware and remove them to strengthen the security of your device. I recommend using both programs because they complement each other when it comes to security. I also recommend extensions such as pop and ad blockers to avoid random pop-ups on your pc.
Feb 19, 2018

I would also like to add the fact that some viruses, are indeed evolving. So there is a chance (although that chance is small) that when you are infected with the same virus, your antivirus won't work so the best thing to do is to avoid it by using ad blockers. Also, you should avoid downloading suspicious files with .exe in them.

Feb 10, 2018

In the past I have used it and I dont know how happened but after first scan of it , I never connected net again and I had to format windows . may be ı am unlucky .

WesternGuy

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
That is very strange. Not something I have ever heard of happening before. I am now using both Norton and Malware Premium and have no complaints. So far, they seemed to have caught everything that has tried to infect my system.

WesternGuy

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
I was using Malware Bytes and Avast. I never had a problem with websites or emails being stripped of their images, but I do now. Half my emails are stripped of any images and I don't know why. Some web sites won't load for some reason. i don't know why that's happening either. So now I don't know what to do. I uninstalled Avast. I might uninstall Malware Bytes. If that isn't the problem, I don't know what else to do. Anyone know why this is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.