Question Seeking Advice on Upgrading to HP ProLiant ML370 G5 Rack Server: Compatibility, Performance, and Future-Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2024
Hi HP Community, I'm considering upgrading to an HP ProLiant ML370 G5 Rack Server with dual 2.66 GHz Xeon processors and have a few questions before making the purchase. Has anyone successfully run modern OSs like Windows Server 2016/2019 or a recent Linux distribution on this model, and are there any compatibility issues? I'm also planning to use it for virtualization—how does the Xeon 5150 handle VMs, and is the server still viable for this purpose, or would a newer model be better? Additionally, what's the maximum supported RAM, and would upgrading it significantly improve performance? I'm curious about its power consumption and heat generation given its age, and any tips for keeping it energy-efficient would be appreciated. Lastly, while it fits my budget now, how future-proof is this server for modern workloads, and should I worry about potential bottlenecks soon? I tried to do some research and find this on Hp forum. Feel free to give me your suggestion.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...G5-Upgrade-Need-Advice-on/m-p/9152498#M250879

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is not a laptop question. For questions like this, our sibling site is much better:

Status
Not open for further replies.