seeking audio production advice

chinajm

Estimable
Oct 21, 2014
I've an audio background and am creating eLearning modules for the average office worker. Post production for recorded audio (using AuditionCC) is proving frustrating.The difference between output monitors, specifically mediocre but decent headphones and ear buds (the 2 most likely options for end user usage) is a huge differential. I'm having difficulty deciding on settings. For these files, I'm adding little or no EQ, but am capturing/reducing noise print and applying center channel extractor or some limiters at times (to reduce perceived reverb). Has anyone thoughts?

Solution
Hello... Yes... That is the problem of the Audio Engineer... Making something to sound great on all platforms of Play Back... You could create TWO seperate mixes for each type of playback devices.
What is the material and source? spoken Words? then mixing down in MONO will be the best situation for all EARs.
Can you install plugins to AuditionCC? You might want to Downloadf/install a real Time Audio Spectral Analysis Plug in... I find this a valuable tool to See what the the Original waveform is doing, and not decide by your ears or cheap playback devices. You will see the proper places to EQ the Original waveforms.
Avoid adding/increasing any FREQ to a waveform... Try to subtract/reduce the other FREQ's, Because you cannot add what was...

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Yes... That is the problem of the Audio Engineer... Making something to sound great on all platforms of Play Back... You could create TWO seperate mixes for each type of playback devices.
What is the material and source? spoken Words? then mixing down in MONO will be the best situation for all EARs.
Can you install plugins to AuditionCC? You might want to Downloadf/install a real Time Audio Spectral Analysis Plug in... I find this a valuable tool to See what the the Original waveform is doing, and not decide by your ears or cheap playback devices. You will see the proper places to EQ the Original waveforms.
Avoid adding/increasing any FREQ to a waveform... Try to subtract/reduce the other FREQ's, Because you cannot add what was not there in the first place... This is Why so much is invested into the MICs and the Recording Room environment. B )

Solution

chinajm

Estimable
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks so kindly for the thoughtful response. The source is vocal narration. I can install plugins--will download. I've another session in a couple of days with a different set up and will hopefully be able to secure a baffle set up soon. Again - thanks so much..even more reason to make the case for soundproofing etc. Best