Solved! seeking very loud music!

Dec 25, 2018
Hi there,

i have a 5.1 sony home theatre receiver/amp but i think the amp is on its way out because it doesn't make sound til about 43 out of 60 so i want to replace it with a stereo amp because i very rarely watch movies. i don't know what to do.

do i plug an amp into the receiver to boost it, or do i plug the receiver into the amp as the signal. i mainly play music through my laptop that has a hdmi to my tv, and tv has optical to my receiver, i sometimes play cd that is hooked up to my receiver. i'm not thinking of getting new speakers, they are 6 impedence but i can if it's best.

can you suggest option/s please?

i also want the option of playing more stereo speakers, eg 4 or more :) i like my music loud!

thanks for your help

Solution
You don't plug in any amp into that home theater, you replace it and connect the speakers to that.

Basically you are just asking what to get to replace this broken Sony thing. What is your budget? Are those Sony speakers with normal audio plugs or those custom Sony connections?

Why are you going through the TV with your laptop for music? You can just connect the laptop audio out to the receiver? That is probably much simpler unless you like having the laptop screen on the TV. Or why even bother with a laptop for this? There are a dozen other ways to play music, from a phone to a Amazon Alexa or Google setup with audio streaming. You can get a cheapish receiver like this...
You don't plug in any amp into that home theater, you replace it and connect the speakers to that.

Basically you are just asking what to get to replace this broken Sony thing. What is your budget? Are those Sony speakers with normal audio plugs or those custom Sony connections?

Why are you going through the TV with your laptop for music? You can just connect the laptop audio out to the receiver? That is probably much simpler unless you like having the laptop screen on the TV. Or why even bother with a laptop for this? There are a dozen other ways to play music, from a phone to a Amazon Alexa or Google setup with audio streaming. You can get a cheapish receiver like this https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH590-multi-channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WG7HZY?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6 and just use two non-powered speakers with it. What you get really depends on your budget, for good music quality you can spend several 100 per speaker easily.

Solution