Sega Vision Emerges With TV Tuner, MP3 Playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

aapocketz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
releasing an analog only TV tuner device right before the DTV transition? (never mind that it was delayed, change we "can't" believe in apparently).

Sega plans to implement digital TV and radio capabilities in later models.

I would hope so!

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
For now, the device only receives analog transmissions, however Sega plans to implement digital TV and radio capabilities in later models.

Are they seriously going to market/sell this in the US with analog only TV reception? Ridiculous.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
If they had built an emulator onto it, this would have been a perfect way for them to resell all their old IP from the Genesis/Game Gear days. Of course, it might not have hardware powerful enough to run one.
But only including analog TV capabilities? If it's meant for the North American market, that would be retarded. My guess is that it'll hit other shores first, and then the "later models" with DTV will come stateside.

CJDavE

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
1.3MP camera? 2Gb storage? TV and Radio? Not a gaming platform? Not even a phone? Uh.

It's a museum piece already. The only thing that might save it is the price.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]give them a break guys. they were probably working on this device for years before the deadline. the Europe and Canadian markets can make up for the US sales after the US DTV deadline[/citation]

I do think we're sometimes guilty for forgetting there's life outside of the US but in this case I've got to say this is pretty dated stuff. At some point in developement someone should have pointed out that someone discovered fire a few years back......

bmikulla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]give them a break guys. they were probably working on this device for years before the deadline. the Europe and Canadian markets can make up for the US sales after the US DTV deadline[/citation]
My understanding was that Europe is also in the process of moving to DTV with some countries already converted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_transition

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think SEGA should have tried to make another handheld. They were really good at it in the past the Game Gear had a color screen long before Nintendo ever released the Gameboy Color. Then the Sega Nomad came out which could play Sega Genesis games and this was when the Genesis was still alive and kicking(though near its end). The only reason why SEGA failed is because they were so damn expensive and kinda bulky. If they simply learned from those mistakes they could make a comeback.

G

For those of you who think the world all evolves around USA; it is not.
The D-TV's official switch may be on the 17th of February 2009 in USA,but there are plenty countries left that will remain having analog television for many years!
Including Japan,China, the majority of Europe, etc.
D-TV is present in some countries, though USA is the first to my knowledge that completely annihilates the analog channels; probably due to too many crap channels.
In many countries you have 15 out of 30 interesting channels. In usa there are perhaps 16 out of 200 interesting channels; commercial channels like sales channels taking up almost 30% of the channels, and 30% pay-TV.

This device will most likely be for anywhere but the USA; at least concerning it's TV reception; unless you buy a digital box.

Strange to see that Sega actually creates something else than games and gaming consoles...
I had hoped they would re-introduce their older games on this platform, perhaps selling them for between 1 to $5 per game online!

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Saaad....

ProDifit80 has some good points btw, free TV in USA sucks big time, I could only enjoy some excelent programs only through cable...

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]CJDavE[/nom]1.3MP camera? 2Gb storage? TV and Radio? Not a gaming platform? Not even a phone? Uh.It's a museum piece already. The only thing that might save it is the price.[/citation]

Agreed. Cant believe Sega is trying to make a comeback to the hardware biz with this crap. Sega used to be an innovator of technology. This thing is a day late and a dollar short. IMO Apple is the only company that has read the portable market correctly with their Iphone. Wi-fi/phone/games/apps/media player.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I don't know about you guys, but as ProDigit80 said it, DTV is only good news for US and Canada. when I was reading the article it I reed "bla bla bla, serves as a text/eBook reader (for me this is really, really, really good news; Being able to read ebooks, hope PDF or DeJaVu will be supported, is a BIG PLUS; Not many devices allow you to read ebooks on a normal screen), bla bla 2 GB's (which is little :/) bla bla bla micro SD (if it will support micro SDHC than this device could have a really good value, micro SDHC can go up to 16 GB, you can find 2 GB's at about ~10$ on specials) bla bla bla " so in total this device isn't as bad as it seems. This is something you could place in your bag pack when you go camping, want to take pictures, take out your Sony Ericsson Cybeshoot and take pictures all you want!

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
To the people who think this could work in EU and make up for US sales. Well, most EU countries are far ahead of the US in DTV conversion. Many countries have already stopped the analog sendings altogether.

I think they will revamp the TV function before release.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
.... and 30% pay-TV.

How many over-the-air pay TV channels do you see? The DTV transition
applies to broadcast channels. And few areas have 200 broadcast channels with only 16 good ones, being that the broadcast standard allows for 125 channels technically. Fail & fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.