Selling master tapes

martyblueyes

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I recently bought a storage room in NYC that originally belonged to the daughter of Sidney Freye who was the owner of Audio Fidelity Records during the 50's and 60's. Some of his greatest work was with the dukes of dixieland and louis Armstrong and Lionel Hampton. His daughter was at the auction, but due to personal problems she did not have the money to pay the storage charges. Her father had died in 1968 and she had probably been storing his stuff for the last 40 years or so. We sold lots of great stuff from the room including a pair of Telefunken Mikes for $5000 that later I learned were worth over $20,000.

At any rate, I still have in my procession the original master tapes that Freye recorded of Armstrong and he Dukes of Dixieland. I also have the Audio Fidelity recording of Lionel Hampton. I also have the original catalog page showing the same ASFT numbers as the catalog listing with the same numbers written on the tape boxes and other notes, in addition to 3 small photos of Satchmo during the actual session and a photo of Sidney Freye at the recording console.

To the best of my knowledge, Freye was the owner of the tapes and the music. Since I bought the storage room free of all liens and encumbrances, and Mr. Freye is dead for over 40 years, and I also own the physical property itself. Do I also own the content of the tapes?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marty

jz1067

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Marty-
Please contact me regarding these tapes and this issue. I know quite a bit about this cataolog an could be of some help to you. E-mail me at jziesmann@fuse.net.