Sending big files over DLNA

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hello everyone, this time this set of questions:

For some reason,when I want to play "big" videos my computer -> my TV, the video lags, and it's impossible to watch - it plays a second, loads for the next 3, plays for a second, loads for the next 3, and it plays this way for an entire movie. I have a not all that dead laptop (it's "dead", but I don't think if it can't play full-hd, it can't play full-hd movies on TV), decent (2012 year I think) TV, so theoretically there shouldn't be any problems... Right..? Or it's all about my laptop? Does it mean if a PC can play full-hd movie, DLNA-compatible TV will play it with no problems?

A little P.S. here: tried playing full-hd movie on my PC - it won't play at all - not even a second before buffering - it buffers all the time, so no, seems to me, it's not laptop problem.

So, what I mean is:

Is there any limit on files being sent over DLNA? What's the limit? How do I play videos that are (way much) bigger than the limit? I don't want to buy a blu-ray drive and disks or a 64gb flash drive just to enjoy movies this way... If I can, I mean, I'd really like to play, let's say, a Blu-Ry movie without Blu-Ray player...

But how?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Whatever you do, there is a difference between 480p and 1080p (seems to me, p is more popular than i), and when you watch it on a big screen, you can see the difference. So, instead of converting, I'd like to play full-hd videos (I mean, of course, I can find DVDs or some other source that'll be smaller in size, but it won't be 1080p, it won't be super realistic quality, and yes, I know there is 4k technology)
The problem is, I prefer to watch videos full-hd since recent times.

That's why I'm asking for a way around, for a way to play full-hd videos without lag on my TV.

randomizer

Distinguished
How big is "big"?

You don't need to decrease the resolution to reduce the file size. The compression algorithm will simply strip out a whole lot of the data and leave you with an approximation of the original video. It could be a near-identical approximation or a butchered mess depending on what codec you use and what compression settings you choose. It's quite easy to reduce a 20GB video down to ~5GB with very little perceived difference in quality unless you sit there comparing frames side-by-side. It will take many hours to compress it though, and perhaps several attempts to get what you consider an acceptable trade-off between quality and file size.

Are you streaming over cable or wireless? If you're using an old 802.11g wireless setup without an excellent signal then you may have trouble streaming high bitrate video simply because there's not enough bandwidth available. Also, the hard drive which the video is on may not be up to the task either, but this is normally only a problem when seeking unless the drive is really slow.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Big is BIG - I have a file more than 7GB big, I may have files about 15GB big, I may have files more than 50GB big. I'm not asking how to reduce size, I'm asking not if I can, but HOW do I play big files? Yes, I have 802.11g, and my laptop shows me 5 bars, my smartphone shows me 3 bars. So, seems to me, the only possible reason for that might be wireless router. If that's true, problem is solved. If there is any other advice somebody may give, I'm still here.