Sennheiser G4AME ZERO's have very poor quality

sharky_legit

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I recently bought Sennheiser G4AME ZERO headphones and I've had a bit of trouble getting it to sound right. When I hook them up to my PC the sound quality is really terrible and also quiet. I tried plugging it into both the front and back of the PC but it made no difference. However, the headphones did work with certain applications such as browsers and some games, but when I loaded up games like CS:GO and CoH2 the sound quality was unbelievably terrible. I played around with the in game audio options but it had no effect. I have a Gigabyte 78-LMT USB3 motherboard, so this may be the problem. I'm wondering if there is a software fix for this or will I have to upgrade my mobo/buy a sound card? Thanks for the help!

Solution
did you get the 150ohm version or the 50ohm version? if you have the older version it may be having trouble getting powered by your onboard audio. you could try using it on a pc that has a decent sound card installed (if your friends have one for example) and see if its louder.

what do you mean by terrible? you need to explain as that term is very broad. if you mean "tinny" and "without bass" then part of that could be due to not having enough power to drive them (low volume output is a sign of this) but do realize that the game zero is always going to sound bass-light and a bit more pushy towards treble.

if you mean buzzing, static, distortion, crackling, etc... its probably due to crappy onboard audio. it is not uncommon for cheap...
did you get the 150ohm version or the 50ohm version? if you have the older version it may be having trouble getting powered by your onboard audio. you could try using it on a pc that has a decent sound card installed (if your friends have one for example) and see if its louder.

what do you mean by terrible? you need to explain as that term is very broad. if you mean "tinny" and "without bass" then part of that could be due to not having enough power to drive them (low volume output is a sign of this) but do realize that the game zero is always going to sound bass-light and a bit more pushy towards treble.

if you mean buzzing, static, distortion, crackling, etc... its probably due to crappy onboard audio. it is not uncommon for cheap motherboards to have bad audio quality. you end up getting what you pay for.

the game one is the more balanced and neutral sounding of the two since it is based on the hd598 and it would have a bit more bass. you still might need a soundcard for that one too if your onboard is very weak.

in any case, other than being bass light or a bit tinny - its probably not the headset.

cheapest sound card that would work? xonar dg

Solution