Sennheiser headphone shopping

Lemon Jelly

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Whats the best Headphones for average computer gaming/synthesizer/music without being a total overkill? I won't be using any kinda of amp or anything.
I'm thinking something by Sennheiser and not afraid to spend some cash on a quality pair but $500 for HD650....I'd be scared to touch them.

Solution
While I do recommend spending 90% of your money on headphones; however, there is NO point in getting high end headphones without an amp. It is a waste of your money and they wont sound great - you will be disappointed. Nevertheless, amping garbage will not make them sound good. Therefore, If you do not want to use an amplifier get the Audio Technica M50s. They do not need an amp and are regarded as very good headphones, my friend has a pair in the mail, but i have never heard them. Hearing from people who have reviewed lots of models, I can assure you that they are great headphones.

I use Beyerdyanmic DT-770s 2005 consumer edition. These things are great and i recommend them; however, they need an amp. Without the tube amp that I use...

Ares_

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
While I do recommend spending 90% of your money on headphones; however, there is NO point in getting high end headphones without an amp. It is a waste of your money and they wont sound great - you will be disappointed. Nevertheless, amping garbage will not make them sound good. Therefore, If you do not want to use an amplifier get the Audio Technica M50s. They do not need an amp and are regarded as very good headphones, my friend has a pair in the mail, but i have never heard them. Hearing from people who have reviewed lots of models, I can assure you that they are great headphones.

I use Beyerdyanmic DT-770s 2005 consumer edition. These things are great and i recommend them; however, they need an amp. Without the tube amp that I use, they sound muddy. I also use AKG K240s, they sound fine without an amp but an amp helps them on.

Good luck.

Solution