Sennheiser PC 360 with a sound card?

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi guys, I'm planning on getting the Sennheiser PC 360 and wanted to get a sound card with it since I would like 7.1 surround when I play shooters. As I have never gotten a sound card I have no idea what to look for. Any recommendations? Only important things are 7.1 surround and that it has an amp (at least I think an amp is important). I would like to keep it around $100, but I can go up to $200 I have to. Also feel free to recommend other headsets if there are better ones.

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
All my specs are in my signature (description?), but an Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3. I didn't see anything on google about it having 7.1 built in. Also the mobo is cheaper than a lot of sound cards so I doubt it would be very good anyways.

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Oh thanks, I had no idea my mobo had it, although I never considered it until now haha. After a quick look on google people say it's decent for on-board audio, but a sound card would be better. Since I was already planning on getting a sound card, I will probably still get one. Any recommendations? I was looking at the creative sound blaster z, which has has 5.1 instead of 7.1. I was also looking the asus xonar essence STX, which looks great, but also very expensive. Are there any other that you would recommend?

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I don't hold much truck with sound cards. I'd much rather put the budget into some good speakers that more than compensate.

I just weighed in to make sure you had fully considered what you already had I'm afraid :)

Although I did recall a thread somewhere for a $3000 build, where the OP was informed the xonar was an expensive waste. But sadly I can't remember the reason cited.