Separate 5.1 channel pc speakers with separate blu-ray player.

Morne7799

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
Hi, I am looking to buy myself a home theatre, but its so damn expensive.

Now I thought, if I could buy the components separately(the speakers separately from the Blu-ray player).

The speakers are 5.1channel Creative T6300 and then the blu-ray player is the Samsung BD-F5500.

The thing is, the speaker system has three 3.5mm jacks, but the blu-ray player has no sockets or outputs for those jacks to go into. I've done some research and saw some people say you can connect them through the optical output on the blu-ray player. I want to still be able to have 5.1 surround sound. I thought plugging them into my tv; which has those sockets; won't give me 5.1 surround sound., is that correct?

So I thought maybe there is some converter which can convert those 3.5mm jacks into optical ? Like digital to analogue or something

It's unlikely that you will be able to get 5.1 surround sound using those computer speakers. Each of those three 3.5mm jacks handle two of the five speakers (and the sub). There is no adapter that I'm aware of that can convert a digital signal to three distinct analog signals.

-Wolf sends

Morne7799

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014

Thank you for the reply.
I managed find a 5.1 analog to RCA converter. Now I have another question, I am able to connect the RCA to 3.5mm cable to my television. By connecting a digital coaxial cable between my tv and blu-ray player, will that be able to transmit 5.1 surround sound through the speakers?

I have not bought anything yet, as I am still trying to figure out what would be the best solution. I have switched
the blu-ray player to rather using the SONY BDP - s490 player.

No. The television's analog output will only be in Stereo. You're not going to get 5.1 surround sound using computer speakers. You need to purchase an actual home theater system that will accept either HDMI or Optical from your Blu-Ray player

-Wolf sends

Morne7799

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014

Thank you, I have seen that and unfortunately the speaker system in question has a 5.1 analog connection, three 3.5mm inputs, and therefore don't think that will help, unless there is another converter like that but with 3 3.5mm jacks to receive the 5.1 analog input from the speaker. Also I am situated in South Africa so I'll have a look around if there is something like that here for under R1000 , roughly under a 100$

Morne7799

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
My TV does indeed have a digital audio out, but a coaxial and not optical. The thing is, the speaker system only has three 3.5mm inputs.
1 for front L&R
1 for rear L&R
And lastly the third one for the center and sub.
That converter has 5 jacks and I only have 3 inputs available