Seti@home says I got no room

My oldest computer which has a 120GB HDD ran out of room according to Seti so I added a 250GB HDD and Seti is still telling me I'm out of HDD space - how can I get Seti to recognize/use the second HDD also?

groundrat

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Wow. Blast from the past. Seti @ Home is a program that acts as a screen saver, utilizing your unutilized computer cycles to parse through radio telescope data looking for repeating signals... ET, basicly.

According to the website, the Seti cluster of servers where relocated on 1 through 3 April. The last posting was 20 march... which was a bit ago. nothing saying they are back online yet.

What probably happened is that your installation lost connection to the application cluster back in california and is at a loss for something to do. I would uninstal the application and then re-install it. If it is still acting up, contact Seti@Home here:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_help.php

My last resort option - hoping to avoid that.

@USAFRet - everything on that computer is seti data - I'll look into whether it's needed to keep or not, hadn't even considered cleaning as a possibility

I'm still wondering why it isn't utilizing the second HDD, perhaps I need to create a cache folder for it?

groundrat

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
It is a very old application (circa 1998). It may not recognise a second hard drive. Win 98 (what it was originally designed to run under) had a pretty low max storage threshold as I remember.

You should really contact Cal Berkley. We are just guessing. They wrote the code.

You should be able to reinstall the app without deleting all the data. Also, as soon as a (data)word is processed, it is sent up to the server cluster. I can guarentee that the data on your hard drive is backed up somewhere at Cal Berkley.

USAFRet

Illustrious
SETI data is taking up 90+GB? Almost certainly a lot of that is old files.

It's not using the new HDD because it probably has no functionality to span drives.
You might look into its settings and see if there is an option to set the target location.

But clean some of that old junk out first.

Got it figured... on the last update, it changed (at least) one of my settings telling Seti to reserve all of my HDD space for other use - it had been set to allow it 75% usage, 25% reserved - When I looked at my available disks space at My Computer, I misread the Pie Graph exactly oppositely since Seti was showing it's graph as HDD full - I assumed my HDD was full. Very far from it, less than 22GB used
lol, also explains the (non-existant) hidden files I was seeking out and why I couldn't figure what had eaten up my disk space - Doh!