Setting AMP Gains and Bass Boost?

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Hi,

I have a 400 Watt Tornado I-AMPM202 and a NEXT 350 watt RMS sub woofer connected to my computer using a car battery however I need to set the AMP Gains and Bass Boost. I did some research and it says online that the Bass Boost should not be messed with and should always be turned down to 0. However if the Bass Boost is set to 0 I do not get ANY sound from the Sub woofer itself regardless of what the Gain is set to. So even if the Gain is set half way and Bass Boost on 0, I will not get any sound. How do I sort this issue out? As for setting the AMP Gains.. How much Voltage should I be looking for on my Multi Meter?

Amp is a Tornado I-AMPM202 400 Watt 2 Channel.
Sub woofer is a NEXT 350 Watt Speaker (Single Coil) (4 OHMS)

I do not know how to find out the Voltage.. Can anyone work this out for me?

Greatly Appreciated!!!

Thank You.

Solution
Ok; just would not want you to waste a lot of money on big batteries. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with sound systems, but I'm curious about why the bass boost should be kept at 0. My guess would be that lesser speakers might be blown out if it were turned up, but that might be a better question for an audio-related forum.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Be careful of deep-cycling a "car battery." These lead-acid batteries have many very thin plates (to generate the high current needed to start a car), which will deteriorate if the battery is heavily discharged. They are designed to be discharged to around 97% before being topped off again; they'll last for years (4-5 is typical, less in hot climates and more in cold) that way, but deep-cycling (e.g. down to 60% or less SOC will kill them in weeks. Something like a 55AH wheelchair battery that is designed to be deep-cycled would be a better choice.

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

My battery gives out 14V when Fully Charged and when it is down to around 11-12Volts I let the battery charge using a Battery charger which has over charge protection.. However my question was nothing to do with the battery itself.. I have had the setup running for around 2 months now and the battery is fine and so is all the equipment.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Ok; just would not want you to waste a lot of money on big batteries. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with sound systems, but I'm curious about why the bass boost should be kept at 0. My guess would be that lesser speakers might be blown out if it were turned up, but that might be a better question for an audio-related forum.

Solution

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Ahh I see, this was a battery I had laying around in the garage any way (96AH). Hmm I posted it here because I thought somebody may have an idea about it, lets give it some time and see if anyone has an idea about it. Thanks for the help though!

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
You can change the bass boost if you want.
Is the amp 400 watts peak or 400 continuous output?
Is the amp two channel four channel?
Do you have the amp bridged?
Is 350 watts the minimum power requirement for the speaker or the max power?
I suspect you are under powering the speaker and that is why it only makes sound if the bass boost is up. Typically when you pick an amp for a speaker you get a amp that can deliver a continuous power to the speakers max requirement so for example your amp needs to output 350 watts continuous power not 400 max. Under powering a subwoofer can cause the voice coils to separate. You also realize car audio speakers are designed to be in a small enclosed place don't you? You can damage the voice coil if you have the speakers firing out into open air not to mention they wont be as loud.

Ps. I was into car stereo competition for about 4 years so I learned all of this the hard way.

Something you can do is slide the speakers up into a corner facing the wall only a few inches away from the wall and they will be louder

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Another thing make sure your amp is getting 14.4 volts of power not 12. Cars while running output 14.4 volts so the amp is designed to run off of 14.4 not 12. If you are running at 12 volts that 400 watt power rating of the amp can go way down just so you know

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

I wouldn't know if its peak or continues power.. Heres a picture to show you what the AMP looks like maybe you will find out if its continues power or peak power...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcmf0loi273ikex/DSC_1136.JPG

It is a 2 Channel and I have the speaker wires connected to the AMP like this... https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6ob20itobj72yl/DSC_1110.JPG
I Wouldn't know if I should call the wires bridged or not?

I am guessing 350 Watt RMS is the Max power for the speaker. I have had the sub woofer firing into open air for the past 2 months and at the moment it is still fine.. I wouldn't want to make the speaker face the wall as it could end up damaging the walls which I wouldn't want to happen aha.

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Roger that!

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I am sure you are only getting 400 max so your sub is under powered I don't know what to tell you other than you need a bigger amp. I made the same mistake when I first got into car audio I got a amp that said 400 watts for my JL Audio 12W6 and figured I would be fine only problem was it was 400 watts max output. The speaker actually needed 350 watts continuous so I was way under powered. I ended up destroying a 400 dollar speaker lucky for me the guy at the store gave me a new one because it was still under warranty. The amp you have would be better suited for door speakers. I know it is irritating but the max power rating of a amp means nothing. It pisses me of because they put that crap on the amp and people who don't know better purchase the amp thinking they have enough power and end up destroying the speaker its total BS. If I were you I would sell the amp the speaker and get a good set of computer speakers something with a good Sub if you like bass but that is just me.

You should get some output without the bass boost being engaged. Since you are using your pc as a crossover (the sub amp is connected to the sub out of your pc right?) check the setting in your audio control panel. The crossover frequency may be set to low. There is also a gain adjustment here as well. It should be at least half way up if not all the way up. Use the gain on the amp to adjust output to your other speakers.

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

The thing I don't understand is how a 400 Watt amplifier with 40 A Fuses cannot run a 350 watt RMS speaker?, The Amp is 50 Watts more as well? Also, When I bought the Amp and Sub woofer, they came together? so surely the AMP should be capable of running the sub woofer right? When looking for an AMP to buy, Should I look at the AMP Fuses on how big they are or the wattage of the AMP? :S .. Guess I am buying a new AMP after all .. And I already have a set of computer speakers with a bass box, Just had the Car AMP and Subwoofer laying around in the garage so thought why not connect it up to my computer.. Heres the video too see my setup :) Please let me know what you think of it!! .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_qOnxA5vg

I have the car subwoofer for my lows and the silver speakers u see in the video are for the highs and mids.. I don’t use the bass box anymore now that I have the car sub.. And trust me!! I wouldn’t want to change the setup.. Vibrates the whole house :L

hassy786

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

I get no output when the Bass Boost is set to 0.. If I set the Gain to a quarter and Bass Boost to 0, I still do not get sound from the Sub woofer.. Therefore I HAVE to set the Bass Boost around a quarter to get the speaker to start working then I adjust the Gain as usual.. The way my sub woofer and PC speakers are connected to the computer is by using a small 3.5mm to 2 3.5mm adapter.. I have my 2.1 Channel Sub woofer connected to one end of the adapter and for the Car sub woofer, One side is RCA the other end is 3.5mm so I put that into the adapter as well and then the adapter into my computers green audio port.. Which one is the Sub woofer port on the computer? Never heard of that? I can take pictures to show u what I mean as well? + Take a look at this video as well to show you how my setup is running.. Might find something from there ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_qOnxA5vg

Thank You for the help so far!

TRENDING THREADS