Setting two HDD on a HP Pavilion

keiranj85

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hi everyone. Need some help, I've recently bought a ssd because speeds were seriously slow on my laptop. The original had W10 on.

I had to change the settings in bios to allow me to get windows on the ssd. Changed to legacy and moved up the notebook drive via booting. Managed to get windows on and it will boot no problem to the ssd but won't find the original when loading off that.

I've now got the original in a caddy into the DVD drive and for love nor money cannot get it to work when the ssd is the primary drive. It doesn't show in hdd management etc. I can't find it to create a partition/format. It's there's when I go into boot options but bios doesn't allow configuration. Yet if I set the drive to boot os and turn off legacy, it loads the original drive in the caddy and I can see the new ssd no problem as a 2nd drive via windows.

It's really annoying now I want the SSD as the main drive and will use the original as a dumping ground. The pavilion doesn't allow no editing bar boot order. I cannot understand why it works one way and allows the original to boot W10 then shows the other drive but shows nothing the other way around.

The SSD is in its original place after all. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for the reply. I got it working this morning I removed the HDD controllers and reinstalled them and it worked that way. I thought it was weird and should of not been a problem. Cheers again.

keiranj85

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
MERGED QUESTION
Question from keiranj85 : "Running two HDD HP Pavilion"

Hi everyone. Need some help, I've recently bought a ssd because speeds were seriously slow on my laptop. The original had W10 on.

I had to change the settings in bios to allow me to get windows on the ssd. Changed to legacy and moved up the notebook drive via booting. Managed to get windows on and it will boot no problem to the ssd but won't find the original when loading off that.

I've now got the original in a caddy into the DVD drive and for love nor money cannot get it to work when the ssd is the primary drive. It doesn't show in hdd management etc. I can't find it to create a partition/format. It's there's when I go into boot options but bios doesn't allow configuration. Yet if I set the drive to boot os and turn off legacy, it loads the original drive in the caddy and I can see the new ssd no problem as a 2nd drive via windows.

It's really annoying now I want the SSD as the main drive and will use the original as a dumping ground. The pavilion doesn't allow no editing bar boot order. I cannot understand why it works one way and allows the original to boot W10 then shows the other drive but shows nothing the other way around.

The SSD is in its original place after all. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

robert600

Distinguished
i've done what you are trying to do on a couple of pavilions and don't recall having this issue - can't really offer an explanation. here's a work-around that might work.

get a usb external hard drive enclosure (around $10)
remove the original hard drive from the caddy and put it in the external enclosure
boot the laptop from the ssd WITHOUT the usb plugged in
when windows is loaded up, plug in the usb enclosure and hopefully windows will 'see' it
format/partition it as you want it
shut down, remove drive from enclosure, put it in the optical caddy, install in laptop, boot up laptop and hopefully all will be good

keiranj85

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I got it working this morning I removed the HDD controllers and reinstalled them and it worked that way. I thought it was weird and should of not been a problem. Cheers again.

Solution