Setting up a new Receiver to HDTV

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
If I have posted this in the wrong place please let me know. I apologize if I did.

Hi folks. I sure could use some help. I had an old 1980's Yamaha Receiver with Dolby. I had it with a TV and DVD Player connected to an AT&T Uverse through their DVR. My TV is a Sharp Aquos "LC-40E67U".
I purchased a Yamaha HTR-6240 Receiver. When AT&T originally connected it up, it all went through my TV with only 2 Componenent Plugs Red and Blue running to the TV's "Output" to the old Yamaha's CD/DVD Input.

I was told to do it the same with my new one with a few different changes. I wanted to use my Component Plugs instead of HDMI Plugs.
I connected a "Digital Optical Cord" from my DVR to AV1 on my new Yamaha HTR-6240. My DVD has no HDMI just an "S" Video which I was not using. I ran my Audio and Video outs to my Aquos. I added an "Orange" Composite Plug from the Orange Plug on the DVD to AV2.
I did not know until now that you can set your DVR to "Dolby". Mine had been set to Stereo. I changed to Dolby.
After changing to Dolby, I could only use my AT&T Remote to adjust Volume on Non HD Channels and the sound was barely audible which caused me to have to crank up the Receiver's Volume. The AT&T Remote would not let me adjust the Volume on HD Channels. I had to use the Yamaha Remote. Also in Dolby there was every 30 minutes or so the volume for a 100th of a second would go out.(about as long as a snap of a finger) It was minor but a bit anoying. AT&T told me that was their problem and that they were working to correct it. They suggested I switch back to Stereo on the DVR. The Receiver is a 5.1 but I am just running it on Front Right, Left and Center speakers.
When I switched back to Stereo, the Volume on Non HD and HD volumes were the same and I was able to adjust both Non HD and HD channels with the AT&T Remote.
What my question is, is there a way to operate the Receiver in Dolby via the DVR and have the Volume levels the same and allow me to adjust the Volumes with my AT&T Remote on both Non HD and HD Channels if I switch the DVR to "Dolby"? Also, since this Receiver has a lot of different Dolby and "DSP's," even in stereo, would it give me a Dolby type sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Ptfitzy

ptfitzy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Basically, what is the best way to connect this up so I would be able to use the "Dolby" setting on the "DVR" and be able to use the AT&T Remote on HD Channels which I can't, when the "DVR" is in "Dolby Mode" and correct the large discrepincy in sound when I am watching the Non HD Channels when the DVR is in "Dolby Mode".
Thanks,
Ptfitzy