Setting up a server with workstations.

Brent N

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
I am needing some assistance in how to go about setting up a server to store my software on. (software that a friend made for me) The server will be in my office while employees use workstations to access the program. The software is like a point of sale software where we will be selling items. I am planning on having 2 workstations for 2 employees to use at the same time during our busy periods. While having a my current computer in my office to be able to pull the reports off the server also.

Solution
So the program is a Web App and not an executable then? So you simply need to setup a web server like IIS, Apache or if you prefer the Xampp. Then you got to the workstations and create a shortcut to the webserver. If your webserver is on 10.10.10.10 and your workstations are running windows then make a shortcut with Internet Explorer and include the URL and page to load for your web app like...

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "10.10.10.10/default.aspx"

replace default with the page you need them to load. If you need help with setting up XAmp here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ6NQRUYR2E

JimF_35

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Can you be more specific. It is simple as setup a server, put the executable on the server, setup workstations that have short cuts to the file.

Which part of this do you need help with specifically?

Brent N

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

I am looking at using xampp can this be done with xampp or is there other software that would work better? I have looked through several videos and instructions on this but it seems they all show different ways of doing this. The software that we are using is actually wrote in html.

JimF_35

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
So the program is a Web App and not an executable then? So you simply need to setup a web server like IIS, Apache or if you prefer the Xampp. Then you got to the workstations and create a shortcut to the webserver. If your webserver is on 10.10.10.10 and your workstations are running windows then make a shortcut with Internet Explorer and include the URL and page to load for your web app like...

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "10.10.10.10/default.aspx"

replace default with the page you need them to load. If you need help with setting up XAmp here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ6NQRUYR2E

Solution