Setting up an audio system.

William Lemay

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hello,

I've recently purchased a pair of Klipsch B-20 (Bookshelf Speakers) and would love to set up a 5.1 sound system.

I've never attempted before to do so, so I'm kind of confused with some details, especially with what AV/R I should get.

So here's what I need :

I also plan to add (if you have better propositions, don't be shy) :
A central speaker from Klipsch as well (C-20)
A subwoofer (probably Klipsch SW Line or even THX Ultra2 if I can find some more money).
On top of it, I need an awesome AV/R to support all this.

This audio system will be used for music, gaming, and movies (in that order).

I have a budget of around $2000, might be able to extend by $500.

I'd love some help with all this :)

Edit : I also purchased RCA 16 Gauge wires to go with the B-20, if I need to purchase more separated cables or plugs, let me know please.

i've got a klipsch setup as well.

however, i didnt have quite the budget you seem to so i went with the satelite speakers (quintet iv 5.0) and the 450w subwoofer (sw-450) since i got it for the same price as the 350. i paired it with a pioneer elite vsx-30 because it had the inputs/outputs i wanted and it has an on screen overlay not just the face plate controls.

i ended up using monster cable speaker wire. typically MC is expensive but in this case it was actually cheaper but still rather nice stuff.

behind the receiver i put a wall plate with banana plug connectors to carry the rear channels under the floor. from my receiver to these speakers i ran some banana clip to banana clip wires (just buy the cilps and make them up yourself with speaker wire) and for the actual speaker connections i slipped the wire through the binding posts on the speakers and used a bananna clip on the end that connects to the receiver (for front speakers) or wall plate (for rears).

in a 12x14 sized room everything is more than loud enough with good quality. i think i spent around $1200 total.

hope this gives you a few ideas.

ien2222

Distinguished
For the AVR, decide what features you want now and in the very near future and than start looking at the cheapest ones that fulfill your list. Tech changes so fast that you usually end up replacing the unit first when upgrading, especially at this point in time when HDMI 2.0 is just over the horizon. Some brands to look at would be Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, maybe HK. Separates I'm not that familiar with though and couldn't help you.

For the wire, you can look at this:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm
If you plan on running any wire in the walls/floors/ceiling, make sure they are fire rated to whatever building codes you have in your area. Usually something that's CL2 is good enough.

For the speakers, if you like the Klipsch, I'd say go with it. I would advise going with a different sub though. I'd look at something from SVS, HSU, Rythmik, or Outlaw instead.

William Lemay

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

For an AVR, I'm mostly targeting the best audio possible as well as the ability to manage my whole sound system greatly. I don't need radio, bluetooth, and WIFI. I want several plugs for things like MP3, Ipod, Iphone, etc. I won't even use a TV with it. I'll be honest here, I don't know what an AV/R represents nowadays, but I just want the best sound possible with only the essential features in it.

I already got some RCA 16 Gauge wires for my bookshelf speakers, I was wondering if I needed more with the sub, the AVR and the central or if I could use the same. Also what kind of plugs I need (I saw someone say banana plugs somewhere, but not sure).

Could you develop on why Klispch Subwoofers aren't as good as the ones you mentioned ?

Thanks for replying.

avr tend to focus more on features honestly. it gives you options in addition to the amplifier but as a result the overall sound quality is likely lower than an amp of the same cost. as i said i'm quite happy with my pioneer elite but i've also heard that denon makes a darn nice avr as well. after that.. it starts to get expensive.

as far as the wire is concerned... depends on what the speakers are rated for and the distance the wire needs to go. please see this chart link her for the propper wire gauge needed for your speaker run. also note the ohm rating (its listed on your speakers tech specs). i'm using monster xp wire (it was actually quite cheap when i bought it) which is 16awg i believe but works fine for my sat speakers and short runs.

i mentioned banana plugs 2 posts up.... they connect directly up to speaker wire. i'd only use them on the one end of the wire though. they come in a pack of like 6 at best buy

i used a subwoofer cable . whatever was available at best buy.

not sure why he says the subwoofer isnt that good. i have one and it sounds fine to me.

ien2222

Distinguished
For your sub you'll most likely have to get a digital coax cable, also called subwoofer cable or coax audio cable, basically it's coax with RCA ends. For example:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10236
Regarding the subs I mentioned, they give you good performance/cost since these are internet direct bands which means that there isn't as much overhead. Since there really isn't any benefit to match brands with the low end might as well go for the best bang for your buck. If you are looking at the better part of $1000 for a sub, I'd go with the Rythmik F12, it extends below 20hz and uses servo tech which makes it very accurate/articulate.

As for plugs, you don't necessarily need them as they are more of a convenience. Bare wire hook up usually gives you the best connection. However, unless they are really bad or defective plugs, you won't hear a difference if you decide to use them. Quite a few people use Monoprice, Sewell, GLS by Orange County, Nakamichi and others as well.

When it comes to your AVR, you're going to have to look and see what you want. I'm not too well versed in them, but sound quality won't vary too much between reasonable AVR's. I'll point you to Cambridge Audio, higher end Marantz/Denon, Anthem, Integra and others which I'm not familiar with. Pre/pro/amps I can't really help you with if you are considering that route.