Setting up headphones and speakers as different audio devices

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I am trying to set up my audio so that when I use Windows casually I can disable my headphones and use my speakers and vice versa when gaming. However my headphones and speakers show up as one device labeled "Speakers" in the Windows "Playback Devices" window. Is there any way to set them up to show up separately under Windows? I am running Windows 7 and using the built-in sound card in a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H mobo. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes, just open up "Manage Audio Devices" (or right click the sound icon in the taskbar tray and select "Playback devices"), then right click the device you want to rename and click properties. At the top the tab, you can rename it.

After you rename it, you can make switching devices rather easy with a script and a program. Look for the latest nircmd.exe download, and install it. then use this batch file script:

@echo off
C:\Windows\nircmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers"
exit

Make one for each device.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yes, just open up "Manage Audio Devices" (or right click the sound icon in the taskbar tray and select "Playback devices"), then right click the device you want to rename and click properties. At the top the tab, you can rename it.

After you rename it, you can make switching devices rather easy with a script and a program. Look for the latest nircmd.exe download, and install it. then use this batch file script:

@echo off
C:\Windows\nircmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers"
exit

Make one for each device.

Solution

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks, but I think you misunderstood. I don't have two devices labeled "Speakers", I only have one. Below is a link to a screenshot of what I see. That once "Speakers" device accounts for both my headphones AND speakers.

http://imgur.com/JY7xy

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Got it to work. Thanks for the batch script

Ariectus

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I've been searching everywhere for a fix to this problem, can you detail exactly how you fixed it please?

My headset and speakers are showing up as the same thing as well

Jonny9781

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

can I ask if you had only one device (like me) and if so if yo had to setup a virtual device to use this script?

I have HDMI, presumably for if I ever have a HDMI device... I have two headphone jacks and amazing speakers, but would like to use headphones for video on chrome/vlc while playing mediamonkey through built-in, or even stereo connnected through other jack...

I'm sure this is the way to go, but think I only have one "device" (soundcard?)

any tips?

Many thanks

reptilicus

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

Yes please I am having the same problem. What did you do to fix it? I have been messing around for hours and would greatly appreciate some advice.

aHumanCookiee

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

what i did to fix mine was plug in my speakers so the realtek hd audio manager thing came up then i went into device advanced settings and u have two options one is to mute speakers when headphones are on and the other is to play sound through both devices simultaneously and it creats a 2nd icon 4 headphones in the playback devices tray hope it works for u guys

aHumanCookiee

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

dont do what i did earlier i may have two diff outputs now but neither of them work do not attemp what i did!!!!!

nomadbydesign

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014
My system is using the Realtek High Definition Audio driver (discovered by: right-click on volume icon, select Playback Devices, read grey text under "Speaker"). After a lot of digging around, this solved my issue:

■ Open "Realtek HD Audio Manager" (to find this quickly, open the Start menu and type "Realtek" in the search field).
    ■ Click "Device advanced settings" in the upper right corner of Realtek HD Audio Manager.
    ■ Select "Multi-stream mode".
    ■ Click "OK".

Internal speakers and microphone now have separate audio controls.

dansmith

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
I prefer nomadbydesign's solution because it doesn't involve any scripting. Thanks! nomadbydesign
However in my Realtek HD Audio Manager, I need to select Options from upper right corner, under Playback Device, tick the checkbox "Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously."