Setup guide for Dolby Atmos on PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonarmy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Hi, I am going to setup a 3.0 Dolby Atmos system on my pc. I have chosen the following Klipsch speakers:
2* RP-160M Reference Premiere Monitor Speakers with RP-140SA Add-On Dolby Atmos Enabled Elevation Speakers
Reference RP-450CA Premiere Dolby Atmos Center Channel Speaker

I have only used powered speakers before, so I do not know what else I will need. A DAC? An amplifier? Both? Would someone recommend me the parts I will need (price does not matter, just performance)?

Ps. If anyone knows better Dolby Atmos enabled bookshelf and center speakers, please let me know!

Thanks!

Solution
You need a Dolby Atmos source and something to process it. I'm not sure why you would bother with this on a PC, AFAIK there are no games that support it, only some movies. You could easily just get a blu ray player and an Atmos enabled receiver and be done with it.

That said your PC just needs a Blu ray player and an optical output (or you can output using HDMI as well), The processing is done within your Atmos Enabled Receiver (for example the Onkyo TX-NR656). You need a pair of rear speakers as well and a subwoofer for the full experience. All these speakers are connected to the receiver.

There is no such thing as "Atmos Enabled" despite what it says on the marketing speak. Any speakers can be used as Atmos front speakers...

robert600

Distinguished
Ok ... regarding the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master ... I think we were both saying the same thing ... I just didn't express it very well.

Interesting about Dolby Atmos at home and Dolby Atmos in the movie theater ... I had no idea about that! Does that mean someone with a 7.1 home setup who was using 'Atmos' would mount those two extra speakers sort of where the front speakers are but higher? Or is their placement location not particularly important?

I guess now with theaters having 64 speakers - trying to match their performance at home is out of the question! lol

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

A normal 7.1 setup has basically 2 extra surround speakers. To do Atmos you need to replace those 2 speakers with 2 front speakers either upward firing at the ceiling (so they reflect off it) or IN the ceiling firing downward. Positioning is extremely important or they are basically useless. The big feature of Atmos is basically using those 2 speakers to create a much more positional sound effect.

Dragonarmy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Got it. Thanks

robert600

Distinguished

I have a pretty reasonable (nowhere near top-of-line but pretty good) 7.1 set up normally. Atmos sounds interesting but I think I'll leave mine as is - at least for the moment - I'm very happy with the sound. Maybe if I go somewhere where a Atmos home is set up - and I have a listen - it would change my mind.

Frictionhell

Estimable
May 31, 2015
Hi, though there is new solution for turning in Dolby Atmos on Pc, and this is headphone specific i don't whether it will work for everyone, actually i am windows 10 developer and there is a new feature that includes this, the only thing you need to do is install Dolby Atmos from Windows store App and you can also use any home theater that supports 7.1 Audio.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

This is not a new solution, thats just the codec for Windows to be able to play Atmos games and movies, you still need an Atmos enabled receiver to decode it. Over headphones its "simulated" and not true Atmos as discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.