Shadow of Mordor Review — A Light from the Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaibotLiu

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
Pretty much agree with this review on all counts. It would've been nice though if they could've included a varying difficulty level (if they have I didn't see one). My wife is a big LOTR fan and would like to play this, but as a non-gamer I know she'd find it extremely frustrating. I know not every game is meant to be accessible to casual gamers, which I like, but cmon this is LOTR.

Credin 84

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
Generic AC-like "parkour" system? Check.
Generic "press block to win" combat with QTE all over it? Check.
Generic "focus vision"/"night vision"/"wright vision" so the devs can highlight what's important to even the dumbest of idiots? Check.
"8x CRITICAL HIT YOU'RE SO AWESOME" popups? Check.
Experience bar added for no reason? Fucking check.
Completely raping the book's lore and storyline? Obvious check.
Bunch of casuals in the comments denying that it's pure crap and having buyer's remorse before even buying the god damn game? Next-gen check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU
Interesting moments: 4.00 4.58 7.45 10.20 10.50 11.50 13.08 14.15 15.40

Colin Lee

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Think you're missing the bolded bit? BTW, what's "Next-gen check" mean?

Oct 9, 2014
I have to admit, I never managed to finish the books. Managed about 1/3rd of the way through book one of The Return of the King before I grew bored of Frodo and Sam's seemingly endless wandering. I'm finding the game extremely enjoyable, there's always something interesting to do and completing quests feels rewarding. In terms of the "lore raping" aspect, well I'll finish the game and then read the fellowship books again, hopefully I'll manage to get through it on my next attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.