Shaky Hands HDMI?

safire_eye

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Afternoon,
I have a problem that has been plaguing me for a week now. I have just built a mini itx pc (for HTPC/gaming use) that sits under my TV. It is connected to my TV via HDMI.

I cannot for the life of me get the PC to display an image on the TV. I have checked the refresh rate, the primary monitor settings, the resolution, changing the cable, updating the drivers and nothing works. There is one caveat here though, it does work when I have a standard computer monitor plugged in. If boot the machine up it initially displays fine on the monitor, then when i unplug the DVI connection it defaults to the TV. As I'm sure you can imagine it's not ideal having an additional monitor just chilling next to my TV, kinda defeats the object.

The only thing I can guess it might be is something to do with a "handshaking" routine that I've read a bit about but do not fully understand. SO... if anyone is able to shed any light on what i can do to fix this that'd be great. I currently have a £500 doorstop!

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Justin Millard

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
I know this one. Have you tried using the f4 key?
The easiest way is to also hook it into the tv at the same time as a computer monitor, but I have also done it blind haha.

When you press f4 normally it opens up a menu on most computers about what display to use. There are four options. PC screen only, duplicate, extend and second screen only. If you press f4 twice then enter it should duplicate the display on your tv. If that doesn't work press f4 twice then enter again to cycle down to the next option which is extend, and then twice again and enter for second screen only. f4 twice again and enter after that will take it back to pc screen only.

You can also keep pressing f4 to cycle through the options, but you will lose count doing it blind.

Good luck!

safire_eye

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
So it looks to me like the windows+p options are only if you actually have 2 displays attached. Ideally I want to get shot of the monitor, it's only attached at the minute in order to see what's going on. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated!