Shared Data Plans Arrive Next Year Says Verizon CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hmm I think there will be lots of money made by verizon as families go well over their data usage if its all bundled in one pool

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
They have been working on how to figure out how to add usage from multiple devices together for years? Holy crap. It doesn't seem like it is that complicated.... they are able to track the individually. I am sure they learned how to add numbers together somewhere along the way....

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The FCC should step in here and put a stop to the thieving these telcos do on data plans.
A user with a 2GB plan could use 400MB of data and have 1.6GB left for usage, but if another user on the family plan also has 2GB and uses 2.1GB, you get charged an overage, despite the cumulative family plan paying for 4GB, and your cumulative usage being 2.5GB. So you pay for 4, use 2.5, and get charged an overage...seems like it should be illegal.

This happens to me every month, by the way.

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I'm all for this change as I have a family plan. I mainly use WiFi on my phone to get my data and don't really use much. It will be really nice for those people that get good discounts on their plans too. Verizon you may keep us sheeple satisfied for awhile longer if you go through with this.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
@getreal I think I see where you're confused about the pricing. You're paying for data plans on each phone they are not added together but counted as separate data plans, therefore if one person goes over their data limit you do get an overage. What this Verizon guy is talking about is exactly what you think it should be, one total amount of data shared between all devices on your acct. You'd be paying for 4GB across all phones on your plan and not have separate data plans for each phone. Which is a good thing. This is at least what I got out of the article, you'r view point may differ from mine.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]beoza[/nom]@getreal I think I see where you're confused about the pricing. [/citation]

I'm not confused at all. I am in favor of shared data plans. I know why I get charged, I just find it dumb that I can't have a single 4GB plan that covers both of my lines; they essentially just steal an extra ten bucks a month from me this way, but I didn't see this as being an issue when I signed the contract, so I can't really complain.

When I'm out of contract in a few months, I can review my options.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Cant wait!!!!!! Next year instead of $30 for 2GB it will be $50 for 3GB because its "shared" LOL

Thieving fracking basterds!!!!

Im gonna ride the Sprint "unlimited" wave until its gone, I can live with my WiMax unlimited for now. Sure its not 15-30Mbps but Im fine with 3-10 for now especially when I gulp down 3-5Gb per week!!!!!

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I hate Verizon, but damn....their coverage is better and data is faster than AT&T. Still.... I'll keep my unlocked Droid Milestone with AT&T because I only pay $10 for unlimited data and I use it to tether onto my laptop, iPad, and Xoom all the time.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]I only pay $10 for unlimited data[/citation]

Can you tell me how to do that? My $15 only give me 200Mb/mo.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I pay $15 for 200mb a month, I probably only use about 50mb month. I primarily use wireless to connect if I need to download something. Also to Verizion, ATT, Sprint, Tmobile, "txt" is "data" , Pictures are "data" there should not be a separate charge for txting as it should be covered under our "data" plans. FCC please take note!!!

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
As long as I can share my grandfathered unlimited plan, then great!

Your supposed grandfathered unlimited plan is basically capped at 5gb a month, at which point they throttle your connection so much that internet usage is basically like dial up.

Next time read the fine print. =)

JermsMalibu

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
It would be nice to share my unlimited data....if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And actually, they don't throttle it right when you go over 5gb.....however, their service at my house IS essentially dial-up (varies between -95 dbm to -120 dbm, regularly at -111dbm, so I get anywhere from 0kbps to 130kbps). And I only live ~1 mile from a tower. And at my work, I get a good signal (regularly -66dbm) and I still only get 600-900kbps. So I call BS on their "best coverage everywhere" marketing. And their only solution is for me to buy a cell repeater from them or a new phone with dual attenas. I live in a normal city, I shouldn't have to pay for a work-around to fix their network for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.