Sharing Netflix, Rhapsody Passwords Soon Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

'given that Nashville is literally at the heart of country music."

-This is the wrong use of the word 'literally'. Unless country music is actually a living organism with a central blood pumping organ.

scubastevo2005

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
People in office have way to much time on there hands this is just crazy. Pretty soon theres gonna be laws as to when you can and cant go to the bathroom. At some point these law makers needs to take a look at old laws that are useless and stop trying to make new ones that are just pointless. I don't have netflix, or rhapsody but these companies need to stop trying to soak every penny out of people and let things go a bit, whats the point of having multiple netflix or rhapsody accounts in one house hold? There isn't one other then to just give a company more money, bottom line here is they should be happy people are paying for it verses stealing it. If i go buy a movie off the shelf from a store i can lend it out to anyone, any time, as many times as i want, should be the same concept with your subscription based services online......should have thought about that before offering free streaming......

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
This will be impossible to enforce, infact prohibition was probably easier to enforce than this. It also would cost way too much money to actually go after the offenders. What are the police going to do? Go into you dorm and take statements from all your friends? No they have bigger fish to fry. Besides people who do much more serious offenses like piracy are 99% of the time not caught. Also what actually institutes how often or to whom you can actually give your info to? Couldn't you argue that your dorm is just like your family because you're all living under the same roof? Even if this is passed, it will never be enforced so no one should be concerned. Also, I love Netflix and would recommend it to anyone.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
"I don't know enough about that legislation, but if it's combating that issue, I would be in favor of it,"

than he shouldnt have his job.

this kind of crap should be illegal, people who dont know the issue but pass judgment on it anyway.

if netflix doesn't want you to use the service you pay for because its suspecting people are "leaching" off of it, make it a policy to ban such accounts pending reviews.

this is the same problem that we have with any cp law that gets proposed. we get told that its only for cp, and you have to keep up appearances, so you cant vote against it, but the legal crap that it introduces effects a FAR wider range than anticipated (give a cop an inch, they take a mile) .

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
The problem they don't see is Netflix only allows a certain number of devices on one account! DONE Fixed GET THE DAMN GOVERNMENT OUT OF IT!

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Oh, the rating system is up and running. And just noticed the new and improved gallery. Both my gripes have been addressed. Way to go.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So if I go to a friend's house and want to watch a movie, is it illegal for me to log into my own account and watch it there? If not, how do they know where I am? They should just have a check on their server to only allow a single stream at a time per account, or possibly a max of 3 or so to allow multiple streams in one household. Either way, they wouldn't get large scale piracy that way.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
[citation][nom]learn2Writegood[/nom]'given that Nashville is literally at the heart of country music."-This is the wrong use of the word 'literally'. Unless country music is actually a living organism with a central blood pumping organ.[/citation]
Actually, by definition, a heart can be "the innermost or central part of anything" so the use of the word "literally" was properly used in this case.

G

Netflix/Rhapsody should just make it that you can only be logged in at one location per id. If multiple people are trying to use the service with the same id, the previous user gets booted.
Once someone starts getting booted from their movie, they'll stop handing out their credentials. Problem solved; no court fees.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Fixthesoftware[/nom]Netflix/Rhapsody should just make it that you can only be logged in at one location per id. If multiple people are trying to use the service with the same id, the previous user gets booted.Once someone starts getting booted from their movie, they'll stop handing out their credentials. Problem solved; no court fees.[/citation]
This is what I dont get. Netflix has something in place such that you can only stream 1 thing on any given system, why not expand it to the username?

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
What happened to laws that protect the little guy. Even more money to big companies that don't deserve it with greedy CEOs, while regular everyday people are getting punished for wanting to save a buck.

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Netflix seems to be getting some pretty bad press from this article. Are they even involved in pushing this law through or are they just being used as an example?

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]krazynutz[/nom]Actually, by definition, a heart can be "the innermost or central part of anything" so the use of the word "literally" was properly used in this case.[/citation]

+20. Grammar Nazi needs more time in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.