Question Sharp 75" : screen blur and screeching noise followed by reboot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 30, 2020
Sharp 75"
model LC-75Q7570U
Android TV OS version 9
Purchased Dec 2018

Starting approximately two weeks ago our 75" Sharp began to have this issue. Without warning screen will scramble and the tv emits a high-pitched screen noise. This usually lasts about 5 seconds and then the TV reboots itself. The timing is random, tonight it happen twice within 20minites of use. A few nights ago we almost made it through a 2 hour movie before it happened.

The problem began approximately two weeks ago after the tv prompted us to accept a software update. Prior to the software update we had not experienced any problems with this set.

I recorded a video and post on YouTube. I'll try to figure out how to post a link.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm open to suggestions

Thanks on advance

View: https://youtu.be/hC7nF3Okykc

Djnaz

Great
Jan 12, 2021
They scheduled a service repair guy to come to the house. Originally was told they would send me new firmware, but when I called back said it requires a technician. Then received email stating that if it is the panel that they will field destroy the television. Any luck from your end?
Same thing they are sending a technician out on the 21st

berley

Great
Jan 12, 2021
Sharp 75"
model LC-75Q7570U
Android TV OS version 9
Purchased Dec 2018

Starting approximately two weeks ago our 75" Sharp began to have this issue. Without warning screen will scramble and the tv emits a high-pitched screen noise. This usually lasts about 5 seconds and then the TV reboots itself. The timing is random, tonight it happen twice within 20minites of use. A few nights ago we almost made it through a 2 hour movie before it happened.

The problem began approximately two weeks ago after the tv prompted us to accept a software update. Prior to the software update we had not experienced any problems with this set.

I recorded a video and post on YouTube. I'll try to figure out how to post a link.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm open to suggestions

Thanks on advance

View: https://youtu.be/hC7nF3Okykc
Repair guy came out and switched out the board. Seemed like it was working ok, no boot loop issue. However, within 30 minutes the fixed tv was having the same screeching/screen issue. Waiting to hear what they will do next.

Jan 12, 2021
Repair guy came out and switched out the board. Seemed like it was working ok, no boot loop issue. However, within 30 minutes the fixed tv was having the same screeching/screen issue. Waiting to hear what they will do next.
Is it working without issues now? Which board was replaced (mainboard or power board)? If service guy replace mainboard be careful with any new software updates. This update broke my TV's mainboard right before Black Friday. Looks like same update tried to broke my replaced mainboard on January 12 but I have unplugged TV at this time. I am afraid this may happens again. I am going to change router password and connect TV to Roku (with new network password for Roku) to not allow any software update on this TV.

berley

Great
Jan 12, 2021
Is it working without issues now? Which board was replaced (mainboard or power board)? If service guy replace mainboard be careful with any new software updates. This update broke my TV's mainboard right before Black Friday. Looks like same update tried to broke my replaced mainboard on January 12 but I have unplugged TV at this time. I am afraid this may happens again. I am going to change router password and connect TV to Roku (with new network password for Roku) to not allow any software update on this TV.
While it now allows the TV to function, every 20 minutes or so the screen goes blurry, screeching noise then it reboots. Waiting to hear back from repair guy.

Djnaz

Great
Jan 12, 2021
While it now allows the TV to function, every 20 minutes or so the screen goes blurry, screeching noise then it reboots. Waiting to hear back from repair guy.
Also I forgot....they called me back yesterday saying the part is back ordered 4-5 weeks......I chatted with them saying to look up other cases as they can see the part isn't fixing the issue and that I'd like a refund so I can purchase something while their are sales going on. They said they will escalate my case. Not sure what that means lol.

Dec 30, 2020
Wow. I honestly didn't think I'd get any responses so I hadn't check the post in a over a week.

Based on what others are reporting I'm not crazy to think that the issue is due to the software update. We are still having the problem , sometimes it'll happen within 5 mins other times I can watch for 2-3 hours without incident.

I tried hard reset, no luck. Unplugging and the rebooting, no change.

For those that have contacted sharp did u just contact customer service via the website?

Djnaz

Great
Jan 12, 2021
Wow. I honestly didn't think I'd get any responses so I hadn't check the post in a over a week.

Based on what others are reporting I'm not crazy to think that the issue is due to the software update. We are still having the problem , sometimes it'll happen within 5 mins other times I can watch for 2-3 hours without incident.

I tried hard reset, no luck. Unplugging and the rebooting, no change.

For those that have contacted sharp did u just contact customer service via the website?
I've done both. They offered me a fix but others are reporting that the board swap didn't fix it. So I called them back they offered a replacement tv but nothing seems quite comparable to what we have. One they offered is 240 hz but being upscaled from 60hz....lol....and both are hisense models not sharp.

berley

Great
Jan 12, 2021
I've done both. They offered me a fix but others are reporting that the board swap didn't fix it. So I called them back they offered a replacement tv but nothing seems quite comparable to what we have. One they offered is 240 hz but being upscaled from 60hz....lol....and both are hisense models not sharp.
They are sending a repairman out again. Not sure what the plan is this time. Tools of that didn't work a replacement would be sent. Don't know how long that will take, or what we'd get.

berley

Great
Jan 12, 2021
They won't offer me anything. Insisted on sending another repairman, but part out of stock for 2-3 weeks. Even then they are no longer even saying a replacement will be sent.

Jan 29, 2021
We just got an e-mail from HiSense - testing this out

Thank you for contacting Hisense. You will find a link to the FW Update Download below. Please follow the below instructions to update your TV�s Firmware.

FW Upgrade Download: https://hisensemanaged.sharepoint.c...JDlDPlIAUw9J0BWSR9LklJgHvzJma-uMSryQ?e=wiKfWh

Instructions:

1. Follow the link above and download the file, [ ].zip. The file will be compressed, so using a built-in or downloaded (i.e. Winzip) unzipping software, extract all files.

2. Locate the file .pkg. Copy and paste this file into an EMPTY FAT32 formatted USB Stick.

a. Please ensure that NOTHING ELSE is on the USB, ONLY the.pkg file.

b. DO NOT CHANGE OR RENAME THE .pkg FILE!

3. Safely Eject the USB from your PC by right clicking on the USB(on your Desktop or in your My Computer) and selecting �Eject�, then unplug the USB from your PC.

4. Turn OFF the TV.

5. Plug the USB in to the TV�s top most USB port(located on the rear of the TV).

6. Please unplug TV from wall and plug back in.

7. Press and hold the POWER button on the TV Remote Control, once you see �Software updating appear on the screen you may RELEASE the power button.

8. Please wait and let the Software Update process finish.

a. The Software Update Process will complete without any further user interaction.

b. The Process should take between 5-8 minutes.

c. Please DO NOT turn OFF the TV during this process.

9. When the update is complete, the Software updating Screen will disappear and the TV will come up as it normally does.

10. Remove the USB from the back of the TV.

And now your TV is updated!

If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please feel free to reply to this email or give me a call at 1-888-935-8880 and please reference your First and Last Name or Telephone Number. Thank you again and have a great day!

Reactions: JHansen03
Jan 29, 2021
We just got an e-mail from HiSense - testing this out

Thank you for contacting Hisense. You will find a link to the FW Update Download below. Please follow the below instructions to update your TV�s Firmware.

FW Upgrade Download: https://hisensemanaged.sharepoint.c...JDlDPlIAUw9J0BWSR9LklJgHvzJma-uMSryQ?e=wiKfWh

Instructions:

1. Follow the link above and download the file, [ ].zip. The file will be compressed, so using a built-in or downloaded (i.e. Winzip) unzipping software, extract all files.

2. Locate the file .pkg. Copy and paste this file into an EMPTY FAT32 formatted USB Stick.

a. Please ensure that NOTHING ELSE is on the USB, ONLY the.pkg file.

b. DO NOT CHANGE OR RENAME THE .pkg FILE!

3. Safely Eject the USB from your PC by right clicking on the USB(on your Desktop or in your My Computer) and selecting �Eject�, then unplug the USB from your PC.

4. Turn OFF the TV.

5. Plug the USB in to the TV�s top most USB port(located on the rear of the TV).

6. Please unplug TV from wall and plug back in.

7. Press and hold the POWER button on the TV Remote Control, once you see �Software updating appear on the screen you may RELEASE the power button.

8. Please wait and let the Software Update process finish.

a. The Software Update Process will complete without any further user interaction.

b. The Process should take between 5-8 minutes.

c. Please DO NOT turn OFF the TV during this process.

9. When the update is complete, the Software updating Screen will disappear and the TV will come up as it normally does.

10. Remove the USB from the back of the TV.

And now your TV is updated!

If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please feel free to reply to this email or give me a call at 1-888-935-8880 and please reference your First and Last Name or Telephone Number. Thank you again and have a great day!
Update - it worked! Worth noting is this was our TV - can't confirm it would work for other TV's.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6296542.p?skuId=6296542