Sharp Launching 3D Smartphone This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Interesting. I do wonder what OS this thing will run. If Windows Phone 7, it would be quite a lot of new things in one package. The 3D camera also would be a kick to use and the tech seams simple and effective. Either way this is one year that you don't want to rush, but does have us waiting for some amazing tech near the end and beginning of the next.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
yes it is interesting...hardware specs, OS and prices would be cool but i guess we have to wait.
I would be interested in 3D, why not? But i don't think i would choose my phone just because it is 3D.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
My phone is in 3D right now....So is my keyboard, my monitor, and everything I look at...Geez Next thing my Coffee will be 3D :p

dredj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I think the 3D effect with be interesting, but this will only be a simple gimmick if there isn't proper software to implement it correctly. You can have all the goodies in the world on your phone, but if there's nothing to utilize it in a way to really get people to say "wow" then it'll just be meh.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Soon, people hating 3D like me will be forced to game in 3D, watch TV in 3D and even send text messages in 3D.

What's wrong with good old 2D? It's easier on the eyes and it is far more pleasant imo.

G

id rather see Sony's RayModeler display make it into a cell phone then this

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/28/sonys-360-degree-raymodeler-3d-display-brings-its-glasses-free/

animehair

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Soon, people hating 3D like me will be forced to game in 3D, watch TV in 3D and even send text messages in 3D. What's wrong with good old 2D? It's easier on the eyes and it is far more pleasant imo.[/citation]

I kinda hear you...where is the practicality...3D is just for pleasuring the senses, but in its current state phase, its not boosting any productivity...im perfectly happy with seeing a 3D movie in the movie theater every once in a while instead of having all my media bombard me in 3D on an everyday basis. Of course my opinion could change as the technology gets even better, and it becomes even more practical to use everyday.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I can't wait for the Nintendo 3DS to come out, probably later this year. It has the same type of LCD, and was showcased successfully to tons of people at E3 in Los Angeles this past June. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of a 3D DS, with all my favorite ports from the N64 and Gamecube in 3D.

I'm much less enthusiastic about the technology in a phone, however. Maybe the cellphone makers should concentrate on making a smoother, faster, and more stable phone. I mean, I would love to have the smoothness of an iPhone on my Droid... minus the Steve Jobs-ness of course.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Hitachi already sells 3D phone since last year apparently.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/29/hitachi-h001-with-3d-display-leads-up-kddi-aus-spring-2009-line/
[citation][nom]RayModeler[/nom]id rather see Sony's RayModeler display make it into a cell phone then thishttp://www.engadget.com/2010/07/28 [...] sses-free/[/citation]
This looks interesting as it offers the possibility to move around the 3D scene. Closest prototype to holodeck I have seen.
And they clearly show that two users do not see the same perspective which is generally not shown in other prototypes demo that trick us to believe that they can display multiple perspective at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.