Shockingly Short Battery Life

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I picked up a brand new ASUS N551JK today and did a clean install once i took it out of the box. After installing necessary programs, drivers, updating, etc. I finally sat down and turned on netflix. Checked my battery life and its showing 71% (1 hour and 5 minutes remaining). That seems a little absurd. So on a full charge I would get what, an hour and a half? It's the stock six-cell lithium battery that came with the laptop. The graphics card isn't being used and there's nothing that's open. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whats up with this stupid-low battery life, and if there is anything I can do to increase the battery life.

Thanks

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
yes i fully charged it to 100% and before wiping the hard drive (not the recovery drive), i retrieved the product key embedded in the bios then updated everything. Would wiping the hard drive do anything to the battery?

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
UPDATE: im now at 59% (59 minutes), at one minute per % I'm gonna run out fast. The salesman at micro center said that I should get about one hour per cell, which is not happening.

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

i booted it up and looked around on what was installed and did some web surfing. Where could I find some of the utilities that were included in the OS? couldn't find anything pertaining to battery on the support subsection of the laptop's page on asus' website.

If there is something wrong with your battery, then take it back. Why dump $100+ on a new battery for a brand new laptop.

What power plan are you running in windows? Did you notice when you first booted it with the factory settings, if the % was down low?

honfar

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

power saver power plan. And when i first booted right out of the box the computer was just under 50%. I'm not sure if this particular model just doesn't get alot of battery life, or if it's an actual problem with the batery.