Solved! Shopping for new battery confusion (Lenovo z510)

EliotZ

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
This laptop is a pretty old model like 2014 ish and I just bought it used. The I'm pretty happy with it, but the thing that sticks out to me is the battery life which lasts about 2 hours and Ideally I would want it to last like 3 or 4 hours. Since it's old the battery is probably degraded quite a lot. So a replacement should give nice boost in battery life.

Now here is the confusing part... When I'm shopping for a battery, there are a ton of options with 2200 mAh and 2600 mAh and also some that are 3350 mAh for z510. And I have a feeling the original is the 3350 mAh, but I can't tell.

1. I'm not quite sure what my battery capacity is now and I don't know how I can find ou?

2. If the original turns out to be 2200 mAh. Then would the 3350 mAh ACTUALLY give me better battery life and would it even work or cause problems?

3. If I buy the 2200 mAh one (which is like 80% of the options) does that mean that I would get a battery life that's worse (if the original turns out to be 3350 mAh).

4. How do I find out what was the original battery life of my laptop all those years ago?

Solution
You need to look at the original battery. The specs should be right on it. Don't buy any battery that isn't the same specs that are on the current one. Unless the current one turns out to not be the original. If that is the case, then you would need to check on the manufacturer's site to find out the correct specs for your battery. This is also how you can find out the original battery life.

Lastly, when you get a new battery, I would suggest not going aftermarket as those can lead to all kinds of issues.
You need to look at the original battery. The specs should be right on it. Don't buy any battery that isn't the same specs that are on the current one. Unless the current one turns out to not be the original. If that is the case, then you would need to check on the manufacturer's site to find out the correct specs for your battery. This is also how you can find out the original battery life.

Lastly, when you get a new battery, I would suggest not going aftermarket as those can lead to all kinds of issues.

Solution