Should I be worried by "battery plugged in, not charging"?

alipmcg

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
Hello,

I have a 4 month old Asus Zenbook, and I have noticed recently that when the battery gets to "Fully charged (100%)", and then the laptop is turned off (or hibernated) and then turned on again, the battery status in Windows changes from 100% to "99% available (plugged in, not charging)". Occasionally it says "98% available (plugged in, not charging)".

From reading various articles about maximising battery life, there seems to be a consensus that modern laptops will bypass the battery once it is fully charged, powering the system directly from the AC adapter, to avoid unnecessarily charging and discharging the battery. Therefore, should I be pleased that the battery is plugged in and not charging, because this will reduce wear on the battery? Or could it indicate something else?

Any advice or input much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Solution
When the laptop is plugged and the battery is charged up to 100% laptop stops charging the battery. Even though the laptop is drawing power from the AC outlet, the battery slow discharges power over time. I believe most laptops allows the battery to drop to 95% before charging starts again using a trickle charge to top off the battery.

alipmcg

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
Small update: sometimes, after leaving it plugged in the battery meter goes back to "Fully charged (100%)"... but not always. Not sure what to make of that

When the laptop is plugged and the battery is charged up to 100% laptop stops charging the battery. Even though the laptop is drawing power from the AC outlet, the battery slow discharges power over time. I believe most laptops allows the battery to drop to 95% before charging starts again using a trickle charge to top off the battery.

Solution