Should I buy Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series Smart TV

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Hey,
My father is redoing our house and when i asked him what tv he was putting into my room he told me I could choose. So then I asked him his price range and his response was to try and find the best deal and tell me why thats the one I should buy. Now I'm also a college student so this tv would only be able to be 55inc at max for I can't fit a tv wider. also I was looking at the JS8500 because I would like the tv to last a while in terms of the tech it has available to it. Finally this tv will be used to watch Netflix, youtube, play video games off a console, and a pc.
Thanks for all your help!

Solution
Your dad was probably not thinking about a $1,500 + TV when he said you should chose one if it was a good deal. I'd make sure he knows what price range you are looking at first. Aside from that, you are counting on the TV not breaking in the years you will have it waiting for content to play on it, as well as waiting for the resolution to become common and in use vs the standard 1080 HD now, and paying a premium now for a high end set which would be mid range in several years.

Get a $500 standard HD set now.

A_Goat

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
Your 4k TV is going to be quite worthless for years to come.
Your console will NOT play at 4k res, and unless you have a super computer your PC will not be gaming at 4k either. (And depending on the computer, it might not even allow 4k res to be displayed)

Netflix will not widely support 4k res for quite some time, and when they do it will be slim to none.
Very few videos on youtube are uploaded in anything higher than 1080P let alone 4k.

Chances are high your cable provider won't even have many 4k shows available (if any).
At this point and time, a 4k TV is a complete waste of money. You'd be much better off getting something closer to 1080P or 1440P and using the extra money to get nicer features and an extra surround sound system.

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015

Ok, I understand what your saying as far as the content which could be played with a 4K tv as of this instants now, but from what I've read within the next three years the amount of available content will be much wider and some are even saying in 2016 with the introduction of 4K bluray. I'm looking to keep this tv until it doesn't work anymore which could be 10 years, I'm not looking to buy a 1080p tv and then get rid of it in three years when the amount of content for 4K has increased. As far as my computer goes, I custom build't it myself 2-3 years ago and as of right now it can't play 4K but with in the next 3 years I will be replacing the GPU so it can. I completely agree with you on the console youtube, and Netflix as of this point right now. As far as how close I will be to the screen, in my dorm I'll be 3-6 feet away perfect for the 4k, at my house I'll be 6-8 feet away which would degrade the picture quality to where it is debatable. Now I'm not saying that your wrong it what you said I'm just trying to let you know more of my predicament and how most importantly I don't want to buy a HDTV and how to buy a UHDTV two years later, this tv I buy now will last a very long time if everything goes well.

P.S I forgot to add that I have read a lot that 4K Resolution is not the only thing that improves over the years. The panel itself is much better. The color rendition is much better. Other features, such as the eye-popping hyper dynamic range and faster frame rates

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Any one else. I have been reading a lot about this topic and I very confused, some say to buy a 4k tv if you plan on keeping it for the next 6 years, others say get Oled because their is no 4k content, and then some say just go with a nice 1080p tv. I'm not knowledge able in this market and I don't want to make a poor decision when buying the TV. I was rereading what i wrote above and it could b taken as me being thick head and only going with 4k which is not true I just need to detail reasons why I shouldn't go with 4k and should go with Oled, or 1080p, I would like to learn about what I'm buying.

Your dad was probably not thinking about a $1,500 + TV when he said you should chose one if it was a good deal. I'd make sure he knows what price range you are looking at first. Aside from that, you are counting on the TV not breaking in the years you will have it waiting for content to play on it, as well as waiting for the resolution to become common and in use vs the standard 1080 HD now, and paying a premium now for a high end set which would be mid range in several years.

Get a $500 standard HD set now.

Solution

Mark Coyne

Estimable
Oct 21, 2014
Hi Tydeocean . I know it a bit late to be replying to this post. Just wondering did you buy the TV. If so do you like it. I am looking at buying one too the curved version. I heard nothing but great feedback about that model. By the looks of it there are a lot of people trying to deter you from buying it. How do
you find it.? Thanks in advance.

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Unfortunately I did not buy one because of sudden money issues, but throughout my investigation I have seen nothing but great reviews for the flat screen. I have not been looking at the curved model because they are only ideal for the person sitting in the middle, once you start moving to the sides the picture begains to grow poor more quickly. Therefore a curved model is great if you and mabey one other person will be the only ones watching. Good look with your shopping :)

Brewerpa

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Brewerpa

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Mark, I just bought the Samsung 4K SHUD65 in screen. I absolutely love. The great picture ever! I kept my last HD tv for 10 yrs... So I wanted to get the best for the buck and chose this TV. I have a huge learning curve to take advantage of all it offers. You will see me asking the community for aid ... Good luck on your decision!