Should I buy some cooling for my gaming notebook?

spearknigh

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Hi,
I just bought an used Clevo W880CU gaming notebook. It does have I7-740QM and NVIDIA 470M, which none of them seems to have thermal issues. After 30 minutes of FURMARK stress test, temperatures of both cpu and gpu stabilized at 75~76 degrees C. According to HWmonitor, after an hour of playing on it, maximal temperatures were only like ~65 degrees. Both cpu and gpu are positioned in the back corners of the notebook as there are two large exhausts for them.

So, I would like to ask: Should I buy some cooling for it? If so, what kind of cooling it should be?

spearknigh

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

Will cooling pads like that (large fan in the middle) make any difference in temperatures?

There are many different fan configurations on different models. I've used one when gaming on my laptop, as it's a business laptop not really geared for gaming and does get hot. The one I have works great to keep my temps down while gaming. I prefer my desktop rig for gaming though, laptop gaming I just do when travelling. I have noticed that my temps on the laptop without the fan run in the low 90's but with a fan keep in the low 80's. This is just my own personal experience though, some people don't feel they really help all that much, laptops built for gaming have bigger fans, bigger heatsinks, and are built to handle the added heat caused by gaming.