Should I get a laptop?

iseeu1001

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I don't really game nor do I need a high end laptop but having a high end laptop might be nice and who knows I might game. But my desktop has a 1060 and its good enough for my needs and all but I was wondering if I should get an G9-793-78CM 17.3. It has a gtx 1070 with 16gb of rams and 1tb of hdd+256 ssd. I mean seems powerful enough and its only 1.5k so its not a bad price. My problem with most laptops is that it always end up having heating issues so I was wondering if the acer predator G9-793-78CM 17.3 is better in the cooling department without making to much noise even when gaming if I might choose to.

Solution
All "high end" gaming laptops will be loud because they tend to have quad core CPUs and powerful GPUs. Both tends to generate a lot of heat. Laptop are cooled by relatively small fans (meaning fans that are smaller than 120mm); even 17.3" laptops. Small fans must spin at higher RPM to move a lot of air in order to cool down a laptop. Small fast spinning fans generates a lot of noise.
Here's a link to netbookcheck's review of the Acer Predator G9-793 from November 2016:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-17-G9-793-Notebook-Review.173668.0.html

Heat generation remains an issue with intermittent spikes reaching 90+ degrees C (200+ degrees F). The G9 is a gaming rig and Acer makes little to no effort to reduce heat or noise. At 4.2 kg (9.2 lbs) it is effectively a desktop with a screen attached.

If you google teardown pictures of the G9 you'll see that Acer uses 2 fans located far away from each other to dissipate heat. In my opinion this design is preferable to either 1 large fan or 2 smaller fans right next to each other (Lenovo uses the latter design in the Legion). Acer's 2-fan spaced design should spread the heat over a larger area, but the reviewers at netbookcheck did register significant heat generation.

No matter how you look at it, this G9 is very powerful and very bulky - and Acer clearly decided there wouldn't be any point trying to hide that. If you already have a powerful desktop, and you're not an all-out gamer, the G9 is probably going to end up sitting in a corner most of the time. Alternatives that you can actually carry around include the Lenovo Legion mentioned earlier and Dell's Inspiron 15 5000 gaming line.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

All "high end" gaming laptops will be loud because they tend to have quad core CPUs and powerful GPUs. Both tends to generate a lot of heat. Laptop are cooled by relatively small fans (meaning fans that are smaller than 120mm); even 17.3" laptops. Small fans must spin at higher RPM to move a lot of air in order to cool down a laptop. Small fast spinning fans generates a lot of noise.

Solution