Should I get a new laptop, build a PC, or AlienWare Alpha i7?

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
So I've been thinking about selling my current laptop for something new. This laptop is nice and all, but sometimes I have issues while recording for my YouTube channel. And my graphics card is okay. But I can't figure out what to do, I have a Laptop in mind at Best Buy. But I'm considering either getting an Alienware alpha i7 model, or building a PC in a console size like case. But I can't figure out which one.

Solution
If you do want a portable "desktop" that you can just throw into a small bag. there is really nothing in the market that is comparable to the alienware alpha in a size/power ratio. Anyone that suggest a custom build here even the smallest case will be 3 - 4 times LARGER than the alienware alpha, but if you are ok with the much bigger sized box that you'll be lugging around a few times a week then building your own is the best bang for the buck. The alpha is a ridiculously small customized pc that still puts out some good power. I own one and here's how I can shove it into the tiniest places:

http://imgur.com/jNZ9oZO

I get a full desktop that can run games pretty well (not ultra settings! you have to be reasonable) and you won't even...

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Forget about Alienware. Nothing against Alienware here but there is no reason to pay their prices when you are able and willing to build the same machine yourself. Between a desktop and laptop - how much horsepower do you want? You can obviously pack more into a tower. That's the way I would go if I where you, unless you need to be mobile - in which case, get a laptop. Hope that helps your decision process...

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

I'd like to be mobile, since I record and upload content to Youtube (my internet at home is terrible, unable to upload videos without it being several hours(5-6 hours for 15 minutes)). My CPU is not made to stream, something I used to be unaware of at the time. And I've always enjoyed mobility, since I go to my Grandma's many frequent times during the weekends. The Laptop I'm looking at has the following:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700-HQ (2.6 GHZ)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 960M GPU (2GB, 1092-1202 MHz)
Hard Drive: 1 TB HDD 5400RPM (Probably will change this to an SSHD)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Vs my Laptop
AMD A8-5545M APU with Radeon HD 8510G Graphics (1.7 GHz)
8GB DDR3
1TB SSHD (custom built in)
Resolution: 1366x768

My potential PC build stats are unknown, but I know that the other Laptop is better than the one I have. But I'm worried that it might not be worth it to upgrade, even though I'm sure it is (there's also things between my mom and I). I'm sure I can sell my Laptop for around $600 (that's around what we bought it for, and I can get the other Laptop for $892 at Best Buy in Open-Box).
So basically I'm looking for a machine where I can record/stream Youtube videos (maybe with Webcam, impossible to do on current machine, I get very low frames below 30), and record PC footage (again, low frames below 30). I'm also looking to play Black Ops 1 and maybe 2 & 3, Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and CSGO.

Eddie_21

Commendable
May 11, 2016
If you do want a portable "desktop" that you can just throw into a small bag. there is really nothing in the market that is comparable to the alienware alpha in a size/power ratio. Anyone that suggest a custom build here even the smallest case will be 3 - 4 times LARGER than the alienware alpha, but if you are ok with the much bigger sized box that you'll be lugging around a few times a week then building your own is the best bang for the buck. The alpha is a ridiculously small customized pc that still puts out some good power. I own one and here's how I can shove it into the tiniest places:

http://imgur.com/jNZ9oZO

I get a full desktop that can run games pretty well (not ultra settings! you have to be reasonable) and you won't even know I have a pc there! on high settings I can get GTA V to go from 45-60FPS during gameplay. So the build your own pc solution is good if you don't have the need to pick up your entire desktop with you and throw it into a tiny bag and go. But it looks like you really value portability, so i'll be comparing the laptop you suggested vs the i7 alienware since the price is similar. For monitors you can probably get a cheap HDMI one and leave it at your grandma's.

For the new laptop both i7's are very comparable but then the GPU the alpha is supposedly overclocked and equal to a 750 ti which many on this forum says so you will get DOUBLE the GPU power which can make a difference depending on the games you are playing. The alienware drive is a little faster at 7200rpm vs 5600rpm which would be quite noticeable when loading up big games but first thing i did was move to SSD and never looked back. Those are the only big differences i can see on the Alienware vs the Laptop, drive speed and double the GPU power for around the similar price. big difference here is that you can run a small crappy monitor at grandma's and then run a bigger monitor at home if you don't want to lug it around.

One thing for sure is that it's going to be a hard sell for the old laptop at $600 though considering you are saying for $300-400 more you can get a much more superior laptop which other buyers would be thinking also. Just $300-400 more you are getting 3 TIMES more CPU power and 3 TIMES more GPU power (on the laptop) and 7 TIMES more GPU power (on the alpha). And also the screen on the old laptop is the worst one which all low budget laptops come with these days brand new easily for $500 and under.

One more thing I forgot to mention since the alpha comes with a xbox 360 controller it's very tempting if you have a 50+ inch tv to bring it there once in awhile to try out some games. And believe me it's pretty dang awesome once in awhile when no one is using the TV and you hook it up.

Solution