Solved! Should I get an RCA extension cable to prevent my adapter ports from wearing out?

mharrison93

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I had to buy a new TV and couldn't find any new ones with RCA ports, only HDMI.

I've been wanting to play my PS2 and N64 again so I decided to get an RCA to HDMI adapter.

Since I have two RCA consoles, I would be switching between them, not every day but often.

My question is, should I get an extension cable and switch the consoles from that instead of the adapter? Would switching RCA cables constantly, wear out the adapter ports quicker than I'd be comfortable with?

Solution
If the cables you use aren't really tight there isn't a lot of chance of damaging anything.
If you do it often then you can get an AV input selector. Much much cheaper than an AV receiver.

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Switching cables will not cause premature wear, unless you do it 10 time a day for the next 20 years of so. But you could look at other options such as mentioned above by Lutfij.

mharrison93

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015

That's the device I have, not the exact brand but it has female RCA on one side and HDMI on the other of the box. My concern is how dangerous it would be for the box if say I switched from my N64 RCA cables to my PS2 RCA cables every so often; and how often I could do that before the ports could get worn out.