Should I go for this camera?

blimpo

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Hi all,
I'm heading to the States this summer for 3 weeks, and need a camera/camcorder to take pictures and clips of my journey. I've looking far and wide for a camcorder within my budget (£150($270)), and then found that DSLR's had better video quality, but of course they cost around the £400 mark for a basic model.

I then decided to look into what most tourists, vloggers and YouTubers use, and found that the Canon IXUS 125 HS was the best one (known as the Powershot ELPH 110 in the USA).

It's on sale at Amazon this week, for about £80 ($100), perfect for my budget, and I planned to buy a few memory cards and spare batteries for it with the money left over.

Would I be making the right decision with this camera? I've been watching YouTube reviews and video tests all week, and it's the best I can find, and I can't seem to find the next model up.
Thank you so much in advance! :)

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I don't recommend it for traveling. Often times, you will find it necessary to shoot pictures from afar. Now, maybe you won't, but I tend to, especially for something that is big and you don't have a lot of options to get to the best vantage point.

Things that I don't like about it are:
- 5x zoom -- terrible.
- Only 2 fps continuous shooting

Is your budget $100? Or a bit more?

blimpo

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I don't mind spending up to spending $180, but what I've found is that better cameras are found only in the US, with no mention of finding it here in the UK :/

USAFRet

Illustrious
Whatever you buy, practice with it before going on vacation.

Various menu selections, exposure settings, moving pics from the camera to the PC or elsewhere...
You don't want to be screwing around with unfamiliar settings when you're trying to enjoy the vacation.

Buying from a major company (Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Olympus/Pentax/...) it's hard to buy a *bad* camera. No matter the price point.