Should I keep my Laptop and get a Desktop?

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
So I have a Laptop (for Youtube) and the hardware is...wearing away from use to say the least. I used to be able to record at 720p but now I have to settle with 480p (rendered in 720p), but I have adjusted.
My friend has been suggesting that I keep my Laptop and get a Desktop. The reasoning is sense I go to my Grandma's and she has good internet (takes a few hours to upload a 5 minute video at home, a few minutes there). And I need a more powerful computer to edit and record videos anyway. I already am saving up for the Dell Inspiron 7559 (or whatever the i7-6700HQ is). And my friend's brother could maybe build me a desktop (for a price of course).
And yes, I know desktops can hold more power, no need to remind me.
So should I have a Laptop for travel? And a Desktop for home, or should I get the 7559 i7 build?

Solution
Using one system for all works is really good sometimes. At least in my case because I really hate to transfer things between my pc and laptop. I recently got my self MacBook Air with 8GB and 512GB SSD. I am using it at home and while travelling. I don't even remember last time when I turned on my home computer. But I think that's just me.

Considering you case,
You'll be making video from home (assuming). So you should have a high end desktop to edit videos. I have seen most of you tubers using iMac Pro with their custom display setup etc. That looks good and creates good impression in mind of your video viewers. If you aren't a Mac guy then too I recommend you to have a home PC with fancy looking CPU (cabinet with LEDs and all) and...

Johnson Mike

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Using one system for all works is really good sometimes. At least in my case because I really hate to transfer things between my pc and laptop. I recently got my self MacBook Air with 8GB and 512GB SSD. I am using it at home and while travelling. I don't even remember last time when I turned on my home computer. But I think that's just me.

Considering you case,
You'll be making video from home (assuming). So you should have a high end desktop to edit videos. I have seen most of you tubers using iMac Pro with their custom display setup etc. That looks good and creates good impression in mind of your video viewers. If you aren't a Mac guy then too I recommend you to have a home PC with fancy looking CPU (cabinet with LEDs and all) and nice display. This all things matters because lights look really cool when blurred out in background of video. You can consider this things and get PC for your works for now and then again start saving to buy new laptop for yourself.

I hope my answer help you to make right decision. :)

Solution

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

Yes it does help my decision, I think as long as I'm not hated on too much by my family, I'll have someone build me a desktop that could let me do what I want. And later get a new Laptop.
Thank you for helping me.