Should I return my laptop and upgrade my desktop?

GreenNex

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hi everyone! I really enjoy reading topics on this site, so thats why I decided to join! :)

Im a 3d modeler and I thought that my desktop has some good specs, and I should buy a laptop in case im on the go and sorts.

Lately I have been having a big question in my head.
Recently I purchased a Sager NP9150, i7-3610QM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX670m, 8gb ram, 500gb (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid, and I paid 95 extra for a 95% NTSC color gamut screen. This purchase came up to $1,509. I just had it for a week and I already need to RMA the laptop adapter. I really enjoy the laptop, especially since I can have my games installed in this one instead of my desktop.

Laptop specs:
3rd generation i7-3610QM
nVidia GeForce GTX670m
8gb ram
500gb (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid

My desktop specs:
asus sabertooth x58 MOBO
i7 950 Bloomfield
Firepro V5900 GPU
12gb ram
crucial m4 128gb ssd
x2 500 gb
850 power supply (not sure which one)

Since my 3d software still runs great I thought that I would just get a laptop instead. Maybe use it for school, or if im working on projects with other classmates. My thinking was why should i upgrade something that is not mobile. What if i need to take it some where? But im not sure I made the right decisions.

If I do upgrade my desktop and return my laptop should I wait till next generation of cpus to upgrade? do you think that one firepro v5900 is enough or should I do a crossfire? Do i need another gpu for gaming?

Thank you in advance for the help :) I greatly appreciated

Hi :)

Ah I didnt realise it was that new....

Having said that, I would read their T&C`s on returns VERY carefully , before you try it...

All the best Brett :)

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Keep the laptop for mobility.

Upgrade the desktop when it no longer performs to your liking. As you said, when a future model of CPU warrants the upgrade.

I am not seeing that you have an actual problem here.