Should I trade my 2014 macbook pro 15" retina with 512gb SSD and nvidia gt750m for Asus Zenbook UX501?

Froyoschi500

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
The logical choice would be yes right? But I would no longer be able to develop iOS applications anymore. However, I would gain access to a decent gaming mobile GPU. The Asus Zenbook has an nVidia GTX960m. My Mac only has an nVidia GT750m. I use my mac mainly for programming, writing iOS apps and I guess school. What do you all suggest. Please state your opinion from a non-Bias POV if possible. Thanks!

Solution
I'm definitely biased, but I'm not sure which way. If your macbook is working for you, I wouldn't change it. You don't seem to need any of the spec upgrades the Zenbook offers. Changing from OSX to Windows 10 is a pretty big move- if you actually prefer windows, however, then switching makes sense.
While the Zenbook looks like a good laptop at a good price, some people really seem to not like the trackpad and/or keyboard. Unless there is something wrong with your macbook, I think it makes the most sense to keep it. It should retain its value quite well and you can always sell it later.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
I'm definitely biased, but I'm not sure which way. If your macbook is working for you, I wouldn't change it. You don't seem to need any of the spec upgrades the Zenbook offers. Changing from OSX to Windows 10 is a pretty big move- if you actually prefer windows, however, then switching makes sense.
While the Zenbook looks like a good laptop at a good price, some people really seem to not like the trackpad and/or keyboard. Unless there is something wrong with your macbook, I think it makes the most sense to keep it. It should retain its value quite well and you can always sell it later.

Solution

Froyoschi500

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

You have a wonderful answer and as someone who has used both OS X and Windows OS extensively here are my list of pros for both machines without the cons.

Mac Pros:

Better Trackpad
Better Battery life
Arguably the Best Software Engineering Platform OS
Cool Apple Logo on the back of the laptop

Asus Zenbook Pros:

Better GPU I game sorta from time to time
Physical Numpad
Higher-res monitor than Retina (though not a serious advantage for 15" laptops)

I don't have any sort of OS bias as I have never personally had issues with either OS X and Windows. To me, both Operating Systems are neigh equal. The only advantage I would say the Mac has is that certain applications do scale better at higher resolutions on Mac.

Froyoschi500

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

I plan on playing WoW (World of Warcraft mainly).

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
It's definitely a difficult choice. The extra work of switching my workflow and adjusting to new hardware would keep me from wanting to switch.
Personally, I use Apple laptops and PC desktops. That gives me the best of both worlds: a laptop that just works and balances portability, power, and aesthetics; and on the PC side, all of the power I might need for a fraction of the price and the ability to easily upgrade hardware.

Froyoschi500

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

I appreciate both you and CL-Tom's excellent contribution. Thanks a ton!