should I uninstall McAfee?

chuckle490

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I've had McAfee since July and never really paid much attention to it. I knew that it used a lot of my RAM(idle 22% of 8GBs) at all times but I just kind of assumed that was normal. Last night I began to wonder if it would be better to get rid of McAfee and instead use a free service such as Windows defender or Avast. I don't visit risky websites, open emails from unknown contacts, and the most dangerous thing I do is download music/games legally. So should I get rid of McAfee for a service that would be less of a resource hog? How does McAfee compare to free antivirus software? Thanks for any help!

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
IMHO Mcafee is a virus and should never be installed on a PC. You should use Avast or AVG if you want something free. The only AV product I think might be worse than Mcafee is Norton.

Kuixiv

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
McAfee was once my go to Anti-viral software, however they've kinda fallen behind the rest such as (Avast, AVG, Norton). I would suggest going ahead and getting rid of it. Just go ahead and get get something like Avast. I removed McAfee last month and got Avast, much happier.

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I have Norton and I don't find anything wrong with it. I have never tried Mcafee but you should try and find out why its using 22% of RAM on idle. If you cant fix it, get the free AVG unless you'd like to pay for Norton.

Joseph DeGarmo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
Sometimes better AV programs use more system memory. When I switched from Norton to Kaspersky last year, I have not had my PC infected since. Kaspersky Total Security is a memory resource hog with 26% RAM usage during idle after a cold boot and about 32% RAM usage a while later while running Internet Explorer with 8 GB of system RAM, but it does not really bother me. It provides outstanding protection.

Norton Support

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Sorry to hear about your experience with Norton. Can you tell me the problems you had with your Norton product when you used it? Your feeback would help us improve our products.

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support