Solved! Should I upgrade my laptop on Black Friday?

isaacl

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I bought a laptop last year, on Black Friday, from Office Depot.
I got the HP G71-343US - 17.3" with a Core 2 Duo T6600, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD (I since upgraded to a 500 GB drive) for $450 after rebate, before taxes.
I do media and video editing work, and it's worked pretty well for me.
The only thing is that the i3/i5/i7 processors came out afterwards.
I'm not sure how much of a difference a better CPU would make for what I'm doing, but I'm trying to decide if there's any point in buying a new laptop this year, and selling my old one, basically just to get a better CPU, maybe more RAM, and if it has it anyway, a better graphics card - mine has an Intel card, though I haven't had too many issues with what I'm doing.
Any recommendations if it's worth upgrading?
What I've seen so far this year does not look much better, and probably not worth paying the extra money for, but a lot of the deals aren't out yet...
Thanks!

Solution
I don't think it's worth it. Reason: Black Fri deals are stocks that have not been moved the whole year. Chances are you will get a system that's old news. You already seem to have a decent machine and most importantly you seem to be happy with how it performs.
Also, keep in mind that those deals have a pretty poor warranty/return policy attached. You were lucky not to need it before, but if your new system croaks, no dice.

I have a couple of friends that went through that already after only a couple months from purchase, and guess what? there were laptops involved.
Just a cautionary tale...
If I were you, I would start saving money for the laptop of my dreams, good specs and all. Real good machines do not make it on Black Fri sales.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I don't think it's worth it. Reason: Black Fri deals are stocks that have not been moved the whole year. Chances are you will get a system that's old news. You already seem to have a decent machine and most importantly you seem to be happy with how it performs.
Also, keep in mind that those deals have a pretty poor warranty/return policy attached. You were lucky not to need it before, but if your new system croaks, no dice.

I have a couple of friends that went through that already after only a couple months from purchase, and guess what? there were laptops involved.
Just a cautionary tale...
If I were you, I would start saving money for the laptop of my dreams, good specs and all. Real good machines do not make it on Black Fri sales.

Solution