Elitepwn3d

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
So I have just bought the asus g750js,
1.5 tb hard drive
Gtx 870m
I7 4700hq
8gb ram

I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading the ram... I game a lot and will be using skype at the same time

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
The one reason I would upgrade the RAM is if it's only one 8GB stick. If it's two 4GB sticks of RAM, I wouldn't bother. If it's just one 8GB stick, I would upgrade that to two 8GB sticks (if your motherboard supports that and your OS will use it).

Suhas Kapil

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
To put it simply. No. Extra ram will not benefit you. It would if you have a single 8gB stick, then going dual channel may offer benefits in a few cases. otherwise No. So amount of Gigabytes wont, but number of active channels will.

8GB of RAM is plenty for games and Skype. If you were doing photoshop or developing large database, then you should upgrade your RAM.

As JobCreator stated, if your laptop only has 1 stick of 8GB RAM, then upgrading your RAM can increase overall performance a little bit. That's because when only 1 stick of RAM is installed it is only running in single channel mode; half speed data transfer. With two stick of RAM they would be operating in dual channel mode; full speed data transfer.

Using two stick of RAM with the same RAM size means they will be operating in synchronous dual channel mode. You will get about a 10% overall performance increase compared to single channel mode; roughly speaking.

Using two RAM sticks of different sizes means they will be operating in asynchronous dual channel mode. You will get about a 8% overall performance increase compared to single channel mode; roughly speaking.

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
For gaming and skype, the upgrade isn't worth it. Upgrading RAM for gaming and skype will yield very little difference compared to applications like the Adobe suite or any apps for video/audio manipulation.