Should I wait for Broadwell-Y?

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Hi I want to buy a laptop. At the moment I want to buy a Lenovo Y50-70 and replace the screen panel with a good one. The question I have is should I wait for Intel to release new CPUs? if they do it how much it will take for manufacturers to include them in their laptops?

Solution
There will not be much of a performance improvement will Broadwell as the main focus is on lower power consumption for longer battery life. I will assume that the actual average performance increase will not be greater than 6% compared to Haswell CPUs. The last time Intel CPUs had double digit % performance increase was when they released the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge CPU. The next time I expect a double digit % performance increase is when Intel releases Skylake in late 2015.

The biggest performance increase in Broadwell CPUs will be the integrated GPU performance to keep pace with AMD's integrated GPU performance. However, since you are considering purchasing the Lenovo IdeaPad Y50, I am pretty sure you will not be using Intel's...

JOHNN93

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi I want to buy a laptop
you want you do not need to buy a laptop so you can wait untill then but it is up to you.and they will have better monitors so you whould not need to replace a screen.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I mean is the performance gain from the new architecture worth the wait? I have a crappy laptop atm which I bought 6 years ago. I need a new laptop for my thesis but I can tolerate the slow speed of running my code on my current laptop for ~5,6 month if the new CPUs will be much faster. but I don't want to wait if the performance gain is not that much.

btw I'm not a newbie with no knowledge on laptops and computers I'm just asking for your opinions to make my decision

JOHNN93

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
from the curent processors on the market they will offer beter eficiency mostly and longer battery life preformance will defenetly be better but after a year another processor will come out.and now you can find good deals "back to school season".
as with every new procesor you wont see more than 10% improvements.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking myself something below 10% as always but I was in doubt because of the architecture change and manufacturing process reduction to 14nm. I guess I'll buy a new laptop soon for my convenience. thanks for your help

shinnitin

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

It depends on you

There will not be much of a performance improvement will Broadwell as the main focus is on lower power consumption for longer battery life. I will assume that the actual average performance increase will not be greater than 6% compared to Haswell CPUs. The last time Intel CPUs had double digit % performance increase was when they released the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge CPU. The next time I expect a double digit % performance increase is when Intel releases Skylake in late 2015.

The biggest performance increase in Broadwell CPUs will be the integrated GPU performance to keep pace with AMD's integrated GPU performance. However, since you are considering purchasing the Lenovo IdeaPad Y50, I am pretty sure you will not be using Intel's iGPU.

As for replacing the Y50's screen... you need to find one that is compatible that laptop model.

Solution