Solved! Should my First Phone be New or Used?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robert_341

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
For the same amount of $$ I can buy a better used phone or a lesser new phone. Assuming seller says it "works good" and there is no visible damage...2 QUESTIONS:
1. simple or basic thing to "check" to see if the phone is working? ie: I know I can't check everything out when sitting in the coffee shop from Craigs List

2. In general: do phone work until people want newer technology or do they fail in some common way?

Thanks.

Solution
A) How much can you afford to spend on the phone each year?
B) How many years do you plan to go before you get your next phone?

The amount you can spend on a phone will be (A) * (B). e.g.

Scenario 1: You can put aside $200 per year for a phone, and you plan to keep it for 3 years. $200/yr * 3 years = $600. So you can buy a phone up to $600, and a new one is within your budget.

Scenario 2: You can put aside $150 per year for a phone, and you want something close to the latest so you plan to upgrade every 2 years. $150/yr * 2 years = $300. So you can only afford to buy a mid-tier phone, or a used phone.

The most common failure mode I've seen in phones is the battery just doesn't hold as much charge as it used to when new...

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
this site is a good resource http://www.gsmarena.com/

can sort phone models by specs important to you. then you can figure out what carrier has it and so on. but can sort through resolution and battery size and see what might be of interest to you. so many phones out there to chose from, without something like this, you'll never see em all

Chugalug_

Estimable

Meant the Xperia Z5 Premium edition is a little older now, and the S8 is about to come out. :)
The 4k screen is an added bonus imo, high res photo and video as well as a great platform for watching movies.

The Galaxy J series is a good choice if you have a low budget as well.

Robert_341

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I have filled out my order form at NewEgg and came back to this site JUST BEFORE purchasing. found Kings post, checked that phone, came back and two more!! You guys are awesome.

Just going with the Xperia XA==the https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875706005&ignorebbr=1 beats it in all the specs and is $50 less. I'm thinking the resolution on the NewEgg camera (can't click back while on this page) probably is more than I need...so why go to 4K? By the time I upgrade my HDTV to a 4K....should be time for a new phone?

I'm getting ready to buy unless anyone disagrees?

Chugalug_

Estimable

Robert_341

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Both phones use snapdragon. My cheaper phone is "Qualcom" which I've heard of before. The world is turning Japanese....and the consumer world Chinese. i can be wrong on any specific product or product category but I've concluded that absent fraudulent ripoffs, the Brand doesn't make much difference. Often made on the same assembly line and just a different label put on it? As to snapdraon 600 compared to 800 or whatever...I'd bet the number represents some other functions rather than a given function being made better? or not. Everything is so specific. BUT I don't think spending more gets you more ..... unless you KNOW it............. and I don't.

..............but, my brain hurts, so I'm not going to buy today. Back to reviewing Android TV Boxes compared to Phone Based==>all to run Kodi and whatever other specific internet playing apps there are. Tech is fun.