Sigma 70-210 2.8 & EOS

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hi guys, I am looking for some information on the Sigma 70-210 2.8 lens.
Is it compatible with EOS digital bodies?
Also looking for any other info like reviews or sample photos.
I have been offered one at a seemingly fantastic price - £40.

Does anyone use this lens?


Thanks guys

--
rda
www.rdaphoto.co.uk
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"rda" <pleaseaskmeforemailinfo@home.net> writes:
> Hi guys, I am looking for some information on the Sigma 70-210 2.8 lens.
> Is it compatible with EOS digital bodies?
> Also looking for any other info like reviews or sample photos.
> I have been offered one at a seemingly fantastic price - £40.
>
> Does anyone use this lens?

I have an older 70-210 f/2.8 Sigma lens that I purchased around 1995.
If you're looking at a lens on ebay right now, it looks to be the same
one I have.

While it works like a champ on my Elan, but it does not work on my
digital rebel. Sigma reverse engineered the interface rather than
license it, and when canon updated the interface, they cleverly made
Sigma's not work.

This lens I have is not chip upgradeable at all.

THe only way it works with the digital rebel is to use Av mode on
f/2.8.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
265
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"rda" <pleaseaskmeforemailinfo@home.net> wrote in message
news:OOydnWimfuPSksTfRVnygw@fireflyuk.net...
> Hi guys, I am looking for some information on the Sigma 70-210 2.8 lens.
> Is it compatible with EOS digital bodies?
> Also looking for any other info like reviews or sample photos.
> I have been offered one at a seemingly fantastic price - £40.
>
> Does anyone use this lens?
>
>
> Thanks guys
>
> --
> rda
> www.rdaphoto.co.uk
>

the score on photozone looks OK, assuming this is the same model.
Sigma AF 2.8 70-200mm EX (HSM) 4.02 (5) = very-good


The site seems to be being revamped at present and the lens reviews not
there.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:d3b4at$qr0$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "rda" <pleaseaskmeforemailinfo@home.net> wrote in message
> news:OOydnWimfuPSksTfRVnygw@fireflyuk.net...
>> Hi guys, I am looking for some information on the Sigma 70-210 2.8 lens.
>> Is it compatible with EOS digital bodies?
>> Also looking for any other info like reviews or sample photos.
>> I have been offered one at a seemingly fantastic price - £40.
>>
>> Does anyone use this lens?
>>
>>
>> Thanks guys
>>
>> --
>> rda
>> www.rdaphoto.co.uk
>>
>
> the score on photozone looks OK, assuming this is the same model.
> Sigma AF 2.8 70-200mm EX (HSM) 4.02 (5) = very-good
>

The lens is being sold as a 70-210mm 2.8 I dont know if this is a mistake as
I cant seem to find any info on this lens.

Anyone?

--
rda
www.rdaphoto.co.uk
 

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
265
0
18,930
0
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> writes:
> >>
> >
> > The lens is being sold as a 70-210mm 2.8 I dont know if this is a mistake
> > as I cant seem to find any info on this lens.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > --
> > rda
> > www.rdaphoto.co.uk
> >
>
> It's listed here:
>
> http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylenstxt.jsp?filter=%22brand='Canon%20EF'%20OR%20brand='Sigma%20AF'%20OR%20brand='Tamron%20AF'%20or%20brand='Tokina%20AF'%20or%20brand='Vivitar%20AF'%22

Sigma AF 70-210mm f/2.8 APO is the lens I have, purchased around 1995.

While it works beautifully with my Elan and has for years, it does not
work with the Digital Rebel and there's no upgrade available from
Sigma. Any attempt to stop down the lens from f/2.8 gives a dreaded
Err 99. Av mode on f/2.8 works, but that's it.

It's a shame, but then again, the time value of the $1400 I saved on
getting it versus the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 offering at the time is now
worth about $3k.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

>
> The lens is being sold as a 70-210mm 2.8 I dont know if this is a mistake
> as I cant seem to find any info on this lens.
>
> Anyone?
>
I seem to recall having an Olympus fitting Sigma 70-210 2.8 back in 1978.
Obviously it wasn't AF......
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:84k6navatu.fsf@ripco.com...


> I have an older 70-210 f/2.8 Sigma lens that I purchased around 1995.
> If you're looking at a lens on ebay right now, it looks to be the same
> one I have.
>
> While it works like a champ on my Elan, but it does not work on my
> digital rebel. Sigma reverse engineered the interface rather than
> license it, and when canon updated the interface, they cleverly made
> Sigma's not work.
>
> This lens I have is not chip upgradeable at all.
>
> THe only way it works with the digital rebel is to use Av mode on
> f/2.8.

Thanks for the info. Oh well I have already bought it, but at £40 I dont
think it will break the bank.

I will probably resell it if it cannot be rechipped and put the cash into my
12-24mm fund.

Thanks again

--
rda
www.rdaphoto.co.uk
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"rda" <pleaseaskmeforemailinfo@home.net> writes:

> "Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:84k6navatu.fsf@ripco.com...
>
>
> > I have an older 70-210 f/2.8 Sigma lens that I purchased around 1995.
> > If you're looking at a lens on ebay right now, it looks to be the same
> > one I have.
> >
> > While it works like a champ on my Elan, but it does not work on my
> > digital rebel. Sigma reverse engineered the interface rather than
> > license it, and when canon updated the interface, they cleverly made
> > Sigma's not work.
> >
> > This lens I have is not chip upgradeable at all.
> >
> > THe only way it works with the digital rebel is to use Av mode on
> > f/2.8.
>
> Thanks for the info. Oh well I have already bought it, but at £40 I dont
> think it will break the bank.
>
> I will probably resell it if it cannot be rechipped and put the cash into my
> 12-24mm fund.
>
> Thanks again

No problem. Hell, for $40, use it at f/2.8. It's a very nice piece
of glass.

To see if yours is rechippable:

From # 7 at http://www.sigmaphoto.com/faq/faq.asp?navigator=3

Are Sigma lenses compatible with my new Canon Elan 7 camera?
The Digital Rebel? How about EOS 10D.

A: All current production Sigma lenses for Canon autofocus
cameras are fully compatible with the new Elan 7, Digital
Rebel or EOS 10D camera. If you have a question about a
particular lens, please contact Sigmas service department (in
the U.S.) at (631) 585-1144 or via email at
info@sigmaphoto.com.


I contacted them for my 70-210 f/2.8 APO lens and they said no upgrade
was available. :-\ Same with my 28-80mm f/2.8 APO.


Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Digital Cameras 2
H Digital Cameras 1
X Digital Cameras 3
D Digital Cameras 1
P Digital Cameras 1
P Digital Cameras 1
H Digital Cameras 1
B Digital Cameras 2
F Digital Cameras 6
H Digital Cameras 3
H Digital Cameras 13
C Digital Cameras 1
J Digital Cameras 4
A Digital Cameras 1
L Digital Cameras 1
G Digital Cameras 4
G Digital Cameras 4
G Digital Cameras 5
G Digital Cameras 2
J Digital Cameras 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY