Six-Limbed NASA Robot Does the Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'm all for putting money into research and development, it got us where we are today, but a manned mission to the moon seems like very low yield for the extreme cost. Not the best use of resources, especially for a nation with such high debt.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Johnny_5, your saving grace is that you admit to benefit from R&D! But as for your comment of very low yield.... very small mind my friend!

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
ATHLETE... I wonder: do they first pick a name, use it for an acronym, then try building something to reflect its meaning / - or they actually start working with the idea??

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]wicko[/nom]What amazes me more is that they always manage to come up with crazy acronyms.[/citation]

If it's anything like government bureaus, that's half the budget just on the names.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
LOL on Tachikoma.

Just add more powerful motors, adds some weapons, maybe 1 or 2 small claws and paint it blue and we're ready to go.

Oh, and give it a cute Japanese girl AI.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
ignore that man behind the curtain!

curious to know if the wheels go into space inflated or do they get inflated after it lands? i also wonder why they put wheels on in the first place, won't that cuase it to use excessive power on maintaing stability rather then just sticking with the spider concept frame of movement. did they plan this thing to have a short operational life span? i'm guessing at a 400 million+ budget for something that is going to take pictures and pick up some dirt and rocks. those rocks and that dirt better cure cancer is all i have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.