Skylake-core vs i5/i7-4xxx vs i5/i7-5xxx or stick with current laptop :P. please advice

Prate_k

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
Hi all,
I currently have this laptop:
HP pavillion g7
CPU: intel i5-2430M , intel hd 3000
GPU: AMD Radeon 6470M 1GB
RAM: 4GB
(~3.5 years old)
This laptop currently over heats and i cannot play any games, even at lowest settings. i have an external table fan to cool the vents. I want to buy another new laptop which i need for both work (programming, videos etc..) and gaming (League of legends, need for speed, DBZ xenoverse assasins creed or dead space etc..). I should also mention that this laptop has 3 usb ports and i somehow managed to bust 2 of them, the track-pad doesn't work properly, battery doesn't last longer than 20 minutes. (keep these in mind also when helping out on deciding :D)

With the short burst of intel's 2 new processor-type releases I am not sure if i should wait for manufacturers to release skylake-cored laptops or should i buy an i5 or i7(haswell based, broadwell doesn't look too promising) laptop now. :ouch:

Sorry for typing so much, but this decision has really been messing around with my head:pt1cable:. I just need good advice on which direction to decide on (wait for skylake-based laptops or buy haswell-based i5/i7 or the broadwell-based). I have researched and found that the haswell is still a good option for mid-level gaming/work laptop as the broadwell improves more on the efficiency of the system not the performance.

I would also like to add that i take my laptop to lectures (average battery life of at least 5 hours is important) and if anyone has a good laptop ( < ~$790) in mind, i wont hesitate to consider it as an option. If anyone who wants to advice me against buying a new laptop (as work is more important than games) you are more than welcome to do so (still very confused on whether to spend so much money on a new laptop just for gaming).

Sorry for the long description ): .. and thanks for any help ;D. (first post so i apologize for any mistakes).
(p.s this is just not a question but also a discussion about the new intel-core releases so anyone feel free to add any useful info and opinions).

Solution
"U" model CPU have lower clock speeds compared "M" and "H" CPUs. The difference can be between 300MHz and 500MHz depending on exactly which CPUs you are trying to compare. "U" model CPUs consumes the least amount of power of those three CPU types. "M" and "H" model CPUs are similar since they are dual core CPUs, but "H" model CPUs consumes more power than "M" model CPUs.

"HQ" CPUs are quad core i7 CPUs and they consume the most power so expect much shorter battery life when compared to "U" model CPUs. But they provide the best gaming performance assuming the game can take advantage of more than 2 CPU cores.

While the GS70 laptop will offer better gaming performance compared to the GP60 laptop because it has a quad core CPU and a more...
Laptops with Skylake are not expected to come out until sometime in September and you may not have many to choose from at first. From some alleged preliminary benchmarks that I have seen Skylake is estimated to have an average performance increase of around 10% compared to Haswell (assuming same clockspeed). That's not bad, but we need to wait until it is actually released before tech sites (like THG) can run lots of benchmarks to determine if that is accurate. However, keep in mind that Broadwell is on average 4% more powerful than Haswell.

There will be no new dedicated GPU released by AMD or nVidia to the best of my knowledge so buying a laptop now or in September will have the whatever current generation GPU is currently available.

Assuming the 10% performance increase is true, a Skylake generation CPU running at 3.0GHz will be equivalent to a Haswell generation CPU running at 3.3GHz. That difference in performance will not make much of a difference in FPS performance benchmarks since most games are dependent on the GPU. You should also take into consideration that stores will likely be discounting laptops with Haswell generation CPUs to clear out their stock to make room for laptops using Skylake generation CPUs.

If you can wait then wait. But keep an eye on current laptop prices because if you see a good deal on a laptop using Haswell generation CPUs, then you can probably save yourself a decent amount of money. I suppose the only bad thing about Broadwell generation CPUs is that there are no quad core i7 CPUs, but given a budget of $790, I don't think you will find quad core i7 Haswell generation CPU in a laptop.

Prate_k

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
Thank you so much for the reply. I am currently leaning towards getting a i5/i7 now. Waiting for manufacturers to roll out laptops with skywell and good specs could take a while. And seeing that there's not much of a major expected increase in performance, it think haswell will do just fine. Not a hectic gamer so any GPU with enough power to run some games. Other than that programming and work related stuff can be done on any laptop of today. Thanks

Prate_k

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
i also found this retailer for MSI and the laptops on this link below are in my price range.. which choice would be the best. I'm not so sure about the GPU and i've checked the benchmarks and they all look similar to me xD. If anyone has enough know-how on those laptops below R10 000... help me pick the best one... (Don't worry about the stock i will enquire later). Thanks in advance.
https://www.itworxsa.co.za/index.php?page_id=search&search_type=menu&table=c_notebooks_tablets&cat=24&cat_string=Notebooks+%2F+Tablets+%2F+Cell&sub_cat=75&sub_cat_string=Manufacturer&sub_sub_cat=199&sub_sub_cat_string=MSI&sub_sub_sub_cat=0&sub_sub_sub_cat_string=x&limit=20&page=2&limit=20&page=3

"U" model CPU have lower clock speeds compared "M" and "H" CPUs. The difference can be between 300MHz and 500MHz depending on exactly which CPUs you are trying to compare. "U" model CPUs consumes the least amount of power of those three CPU types. "M" and "H" model CPUs are similar since they are dual core CPUs, but "H" model CPUs consumes more power than "M" model CPUs.

"HQ" CPUs are quad core i7 CPUs and they consume the most power so expect much shorter battery life when compared to "U" model CPUs. But they provide the best gaming performance assuming the game can take advantage of more than 2 CPU cores.

While the GS70 laptop will offer better gaming performance compared to the GP60 laptop because it has a quad core CPU and a more powerful GPU. The GP60 has a dual core CPU and a less powerful current generation GPU.

Solution