Skype Blocks, Threatens to Sue Fring

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm confused, Trillian and Pidgin and the likes are just clients, they rely on the network (Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Skype, etc..) to handle the communication. Therefore, if fring is like those other clients, integrating video conferencing just means allowing users to utilize the networks pre-existing video conferencing, yes? I mean, basically, fring just lets people use Skype video conferencing without the skype client, right? How is this a problem? People are still using Skype. Skype still gets to spy on the conversation or do whatever else it is they do, but the end client application is just fring instead of Skype.

Maybe this is about in-app ads, and to that I say, who the hell clicks on in-app ads?

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I for one dislike the skype interface and would love to see other clients become available. Freedom to choose. I have been considering ending my paid monthly subscription due to several issues and dislike of the interface...

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
If Skype could get off their asses and provide fully functional, read desktop-version, clients for the mobile platforms this would be a non-issue as Fring is categorically worse at everything than the official client.

Well, save being actually available I guess.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
i want to hear Skype side of the story. "free up more network bandwidth for fring-to-fring video calling" why they doing that? they should free up all bandwidth so everybody can use software instead of throttled or pick and choosing which software should have more. I like both software but it seems like they had problems for awhile and skype had enough of it. so maybe they look like a bully now but they are just doing whats best for their company. why isn't skype threatening to take legal action on other companies for the same feature? It is not clear and all i am hearing is name calling

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
So skype is pissed off because fring is doing to them, what they did to the telecos? WTF. Skype should be shaking their hand. It all travels over Skypes' backbone.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]stratplaya[/nom]Funny how success can screw up a company.Look at Apple.[/citation]

There comes a point that when you climb up that mountain of success that the only direction is back down and since everyone wants to be at the summit, all eyes are fixed on you and everyone notices when you slip or are pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.