Slow internet speeds.

myinternetsucks

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
My internet has become really slow over the last month and I need some help getting to the root of the problem. I have 20mb download speed and that has always been fine until recently when something has changed.I used to be able to watch 1080p video and download files reasonably quickly, now sometimes a youtube video won't even load in 144p and small downloads can take hours. I run a speed test when it is slow and it shows that I am only getting 2mb download speeds, even when there is nothing else running on my computer. I thought that maybe I had a virus so I reinstalled OS but that didn't help. I sometimes run some dodgy files on my computer, mainly game mods and stuff but I think they are clean because they come from well know modders that many people will vouch for. Today when my internet was really slow I ran a speed test and got 2mb then I booted in safe mode and got 16mb, when I turned off safe mode I had 16mb for about 10 minutes then it went back to 2mb. Is it possible that there could be something running in the background that is using my connection? I checked everything in task manager but I can't find anything. Also I thought if there was anything it would have been wiped when I reinstalled my OS. I don't know much about how internet speed works so I don't know what the options could be. Is it possible that someone is leaching from me? I have spoken to my isp and they had to say was change your microfilter and that made no difference. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Are you accessing your network via wifi or cabled? If cabled, try a different cable. Have you tried other devices to see what the speed is on them? Does it drop on those devices? Is your WiFi secured?

myinternetsucks

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I am using wifi. I have other devices connected and they are all a lot slower than they used to be. After I changed the micro filter the speed improved a bit (not as good as it was before) but now its back to being terrible again. And yes my wifi is secured.