Question Slow Motion vs. Jump Forward?

Oct 19, 2021
The background... I finally cancelled our cable tv after gradually subscribing to a few streaming services, most recently YouTube TV. I also replaced the 11 year old TV and stopped using the Roku 3. The only thing I miss is the cable DVR box and the functionality of the remote. I currently use the "Smart TV" options of my Sony XR 90J TV and it works well enough, sort of. Mainly we watch YouTube TV, Netflix, and HBO MAX. But, I really dislike being without slow motion for recorded sporting events. I also do not like the way fast forward works on anything, (sports, movies, YouTube TV's DVR,) etc. Instead of smoothly forwarding at several different speeds like the cable DVR did, the Sony remote with the apps on the TV awkwardly jumps forward in 15 second increments. So finally, here is my question:

If I move away from using the Sony Smart TV function and apps of my Sony TV, and I buy a streaming box, can I get back slow motion capability? I thought I had determined that Roku took away that functionality a few years ago but Roku support still has the description of how to do it on their site (Pause, then FF button.) Even so, some users complain no slow motion or fast forwarding without skipping currently exists on their Rokus. Does the newest 2nd gen Apple TV have slow motion? What about the newest Roku? Do either have normal fast forwarding instead of the 15 second jump?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 6
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
attacus Streaming Video & TVs 9
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
Mike Andronico Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
G Streaming Video & TVs 1