Slow to light pixels on samsung plasma

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Fairly new 43f4500. When first turned on, a horizontal row of about 10 pixels followed by a couple more pixels further down the row, takes about 10 seconds longer to illuminate than the rest of the panel. The row is about 10" from the left and about 5" up from bottom. Any idea what causes it? Will it get better of worse? Tv is perfect otherwise. Prefer to keep tv if it will never get worse. Thanks!!

Solution
It could be the display matrix driver or the display ribbon interface cable that are failing, it could stay the same or get worse (with the higher probability of getting worse).

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
It could be the display matrix driver or the display ribbon interface cable that are failing, it could stay the same or get worse (with the higher probability of getting worse).

Solution

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Thank you. I was researching the issue. Some people have reseated the connectors on the boards. At least 1 person said this fixed his "black line" on plasma issue. Should I try that? I understand about the deadly voltage of tv electronics. I find it curious that only a few pixels are affected vs an entire line. I also read where someone said the "filaments" in the cells could be failing. Thanks!!

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
As far as I know there are no filaments in the gas pockets just electrodes that illuminate the picture elements (similar to a neon bulb or fluorescent light bulb but on a microscale), if your comfortable working with high voltages then you could try reseating the connectors, I wouldn't advise it unless you know the dangers of high voltages.

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Was just going to update this old thread to say that I've been using this plasma tv daily (many hours!) for the last 2 years and the lines haven't gone away, but haven't gotten worse. Yeah! Also, I got the 51" version about a year ago and it has these areas of red pixels (like little clouds) in the upper left side of the screen that are similar to these black lines, in that they usually only show up on a black screen after the tv has just been turned on, or if there hasn't been any "bright" content in that area of the screen for some time.