Small Lightweight Netbook Advice Needed

Narfcisco

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hello, my boss is planning in buying a netbook to use when he travel. He is kinda elderly so he needs the netbook to be lightweight, but not excessively small (so he can actually read the stuff in the screen). He doesnt need any advanced specs for the applications he uses, word, excel, web browser and some lil stuff here and there, but nothing else.
Im not really into the netbook enviroment so I dont really know where to start to look for a reliable lightweight netbook.
I would really appreciate if you could help me with your knowledge.

Best Regards
Fran

jxoliphant

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello, if it is definitely to be a netbook, I would recommend any Asus EEE Netbook, provided it has Windows 7, and has a screensize of at least 10.1", and has a good battery life. I own one of these, and it is just terrific.

However, please note the lowest weight for a netbook is around 2.5 - 2.9 lbs, and at that weight he could buy one of the new Ultrabooks. They weigh the same as netbooks but have larger screens. They will cost more, but he might appreciate that big screen.

Start at Bestbuy.com, and do 2 searches, one for netbook and one for ultrabook. This will give you both a pretty good idea of what is out there. Also if you have a Best Buy or Frys nearby, you could shop in person too, but I would still start with the web search to give you a good overview.

If you think the 13" form factor is still too large:
HP Pavilion dm1 11.6-inch 1.6GHz Dual-core AMD Fusion Laptop w/4GB RAM $400 a step up from the 'Netbooks to a sub-notebook (or ultra portable laptop). (only the increased performance rates the upgrade from 'Netbook to sub-notebook)
AMD Dual-Core E-450 1.65GHz APU, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 11.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ Radeon HD 6250 IGP graphics.
HP Pavilion dm1-4010us (Late 2011) Review

A handy wireless mouse & mouse pad will go a long way to making the laptop easy to use.

Narfcisco

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thank you all for your answers! I will be reviewing the stuff you have proposed here... DVD drive isnt necessary, if needed he can get an external one, so the main focus has to be the weight of the computer.

Thank you again for your help!